Welcome to the jungle – the garden has taken off!

allotment-courgettes-july

Since my last post from the garden in late June/early July things have developed drastically! While I’ve been away on holiday the plants have grown, or should I say over-grown in the remarkable British weather!

allotment-july

Adam was a little worried that the sprinkler system he set up would not work…but it did.

We returned to an abundance of foliage, crops and what I can only describe as a jungle in the pumpkin patch!

tomatoes-growing-in-greenhouse

greenhouse-july

We have lots of crops to harvest and a great big yellow courgette! The first of many.

allotment-harvest

apples-and-pears

broad-bean-harvest
brocolli-july
desert-gooseberries
grapes
green-tomato
peas-and-gooseberries-harvest
redcurrants

The higgledy-piggledy wildlife border is a bit of a mess now the foxgloves have died off. Looking forward to the teasel and echinops coming out though and the persicaria is still looking good.

I’ve got some late summer planting ideas for this border and can’t wait to get started.

persecaria

pink-dahlia

Unfortunately we didn’t have a sprinkler system for the front garden but we took all the containers, including window boxes up the road to the allotment so they would be watered. My pots of dahlias have come out while we were away and look great.

Out front the clematis has suffered, so has the rose and the rosemary plant actually died. Wow it must have been hot!

The day lilies are amazing though and have really spread since last year so they’re providing some lovely colour.

Day-lilies

I’m full of inspiration from our holiday in Provence and decided to take the opportunity to have a bit of an overhaul at the front anyway for my late summer display, by moving some containers around and buying some new plants – there’s nothing like a bit of retail therapy!

flowers-front-garden

How are your gardens doing? Do you have a good harvest this year? Do you have any tips for keeping your gardens in shape while you’re away on holiday?

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

40 Responses to “Welcome to the jungle – the garden has taken off!”

1. Jill July 30, 2013 at 7:13 pm #

Wow! Amazing fresh produce and I noticed some lavender in the background, I love lavender. I’m watching Love Your Garden on itv while reading about yours!! I have raspberries this year and lots of apples to come too.

• Anna B July 30, 2013 at 7:48 pm #

Hi Jill! I love lavender too and since our holiday to France I just want more!! Cool about your raspberries and apples! Thanks so much for your comment :)

2. thesneakymagpie July 30, 2013 at 7:54 pm #

Everything looks so good, I especially love the look of your gooseberries and broccoli. My pumpkins and squashed have gone crazy too, must be the heat. I can’t wait to get an allotment.

• Anna B July 30, 2013 at 8:48 pm #

Thanks sneaky magpie! I’m a little worried theres not enough room for my pumpkins, squash and Courgettes to grow properly, I’ve never had the leaves grow so big like that before! Thanks so much for dropping by :)

3. Christina July 30, 2013 at 7:58 pm #

Wow! What a lot of good things to eat. Well done with the irrigation.

• Anna B July 30, 2013 at 9:05 pm #

I’ll let Adam know that you like his irrigation system! He will be over the moon :-) It took him hours. He timed it to come on at 5.30am and 8.30pm, a rotating sprinkler outside and the blue sprinkler inside the greenhouse, lucky we had the random log to rest it on so it could reach the plants on the high shelf! Thanks so much for your comment :)

4. judithegardener July 30, 2013 at 8:14 pm #

Lovely abundant plot Anna.. well done to you and yours! :-)

• Anna B July 30, 2013 at 8:49 pm #

Thanks Judi! Hope your gardening and allotmenting is going well for you too :)

5. islandthreads July 30, 2013 at 8:19 pm #

your garden is a lovely jungle of food and flower what a lovely garden to come home too, Frances

• Anna B July 30, 2013 at 8:52 pm #

Hi Frances! I must admit I missed my dog and my garden while I was away and although my front garden looked a bit frazzled it’s been great to get out there and rejuvenate it! Collecting the crops has been great too, I’ve enjoyed my own potatoes with my meal tonight and they taste good! Thanks so much for your comment :)

6. gardeninacity July 30, 2013 at 8:30 pm #

I second that wow! Incredible bounty you have. I am drooling over your figs and currants, strawberries and raspberries (I’m more of a fruit person, you can tell). Kudos to Adam for his successful watering system.

• Anna B July 30, 2013 at 8:54 pm #

Adam will be chuffed to bits to hear that! He was still working on it in the dark the night before we flew! He’s such a last minuter but what a garden saver his watering system was!

7. gardeninacity July 30, 2013 at 8:31 pm #

Oops, I see those are currants or gooseberries, not figs. Oh well. Still lovely.

• Anna B July 30, 2013 at 8:56 pm #

I wish I had figs too I can tell ya! The gooseberry is a sweeter variety than the usual green ones. Much nicer, I’ve just been eating them with yoghurt. Nice and simple. Thanks for dropping by Jason :)

8. Anna July 30, 2013 at 8:58 pm #

Glad that your sprinker system worked Anna – so did ours when we were away much to my relief :) You have returned home to some fine crops. I removed all the small courgettes before we went away as it prevents coming home to monsters which results in fewer courgettes in the long run.

• Anna B July 31, 2013 at 6:04 am #

Hi Anna! What a great idea! You know I don’t have as many Courgettes as usual even though the plants are massive? We’ve just had 2 so far. Most years I’m battling with marrows because I have too many to eat. My neighbours plot is like that yet mine isnt?! Very odd, perhaps I’ll have a later crop. Thanks so much for dropping by and I love your holiday tip!

9. Cathy July 30, 2013 at 9:58 pm #

It really is looking lush Anna! What great fruit and veg for a feast. Homegrown tastes so much better. I’ll be harvesting the last of my chard tomorrow, as the heat has caused it to start flowering. I had to cut back a lot of my lavender today as it has burnt, but maybe it will flower again… Lavender would be an idea for your front garden perhaps?

• Anna B July 31, 2013 at 6:01 am #

Hi Cathy! Funnily enough I just bought a pot of lavender for my front! Great minds :)

10. Jenny July 31, 2013 at 9:07 am #

Looking brilliant. We’re on our first year of harvest from this garden and its great to see things coming in. Good luck with the Provence style garden, great idea

• Anna B July 31, 2013 at 9:58 am #

Hi Jenny! Glad to hear you’re enjoying a harvest too! Thanks so much for your comment and for visiting :)

11. Linda July 31, 2013 at 9:29 am #

We’re enjoying potatoes, beans, courgettes and tomatoes etc. and everything has gone well during our time away because our daughter came every day to water and feed the cat as well as watering the allotment. The sprinkler system sounds like a good idea and glad that it worked for you. We lost a rosemary bush when there was snow earlier in the year, but it’s perked up again. Would love to have gooseberries like yours!

• Anna B July 31, 2013 at 10:01 am #

Pleased to hear your rosemary bush recovered. I’m not sure mine will but I might stash it somewhere just in case! I am a bit of a hoarder and if there’s any chance of it re-growing then that would be great! Always good to have someone who can help out. My parents’ looked after my dog which was great but not near enough to pop round and water. Allotment folk are always happy to help us out but I am glad we had the sprinkler system because they will have had a lot of watering to do on their own plots. Sounds like it was really hot here! Funny, we always go away and miss the best UK weather!! Thanks so much for visiting :)

12. Janet/Plantaliscious July 31, 2013 at 5:18 pm #

What a wonderful sight to come home to, such lush and healthy growth, so many tasty treats! Pretty gooseberries – what variety?

• Anna B July 31, 2013 at 7:24 pm #

Hi Janet! It’s a desert gooseberry called ‘Xenia’. It’s much sweeter than the green ones, not sour at all, so you can just pick them and eat them straight off the plant! Thanks so much for your comment :)

13. Ricki Grady July 31, 2013 at 7:33 pm #

Almost like a second vacation, coming home to such bounty. We like our vacations in the winter, when it is gloomy here. Right now there is no place I would rather be (with the exception, perhaps, of a visit to your allotment).

• Anna B July 31, 2013 at 7:48 pm #

Ah that’s nice! I’d love to live nearer to you so we could swap plants and garden chats! The weather has taken a turn here today though so you’ll be glad you’re not visiting, it’s gone grey and rainy like winter :( typical british summer! It’s mean to improve again soon. At least Adam’s sprinkler system can have a rest!!

14. The Gardening Shoe July 31, 2013 at 8:58 pm #

Now that’s the kind of welcome home we all want! Do those gooseberries taste as good as they look? I’m pleased that you have returned from your trip with ideas and retail therapy opportunities!

• Anna B August 4, 2013 at 7:00 pm #

Hey gardening shoe! Yes they do! They are very sweet and I just like to eat them with yoghurt. Thanks so much for popping by :)

15. Cathy August 1, 2013 at 7:00 pm #

Yes, I think we were all drooling at your photos, Anna ;) Thank goodness for the successful watering system while you were away – plenty more bounty to come!

• Anna B August 4, 2013 at 7:05 pm #

Hi Cathy, we’re pleased it worked too! Good bounty every day but not much joy with the cucumbers this year?! Every year something I usually find easy decides to challenge me. Hope you’ve had a good weekend in the garden :)

16. hoehoegrow August 1, 2013 at 7:41 pm #

Looks like everything has gone maaad ! Lots of lovely produce ! Love your yellow courgette!
    I find this quite a difficult time of year, as although I want certain things, like foxgloves, to set seed, they drive me crazy and my secateur hand begins to twitch !

• Anna B August 4, 2013 at 7:07 pm #

Hello there! The yellow ones don’t seem to be as abundant as other varieties that I’ve grown in the past but in a way that’s a good thing as I’m not battling with marrows! Yes, I’ve chopped a load of foxgloves down. They will find a way of coming back I’m sure! Thanks so much for dropping by :)

17. Mrs V August 4, 2013 at 6:42 pm #

That’s how I felt when returning from our holiday- the allotment had turned into a jungle! A good session of weeding, pruning, hoeing and picking later it started to look like our allotment again. Your harvest looks very good :)

• Anna B August 4, 2013 at 7:08 pm #

I’ve been enjoying weeding, pruning and hoeing too! It’s so nice to just potter about and tidy things up. Collecting more and more crops along the way :) Thanks so much for your comment!

18. home, garden, life August 19, 2013 at 5:46 pm #

Bountiful there! Check out my last few posts to see my bounty here in VA!

19. Crafty Garden Hoe August 30, 2013 at 9:23 pm #

Wow! Everything looks fab! It’s been a great season

• Anna B August 30, 2013 at 10:00 pm #

Hi Crafty! It has been really good this year! Just wish the summer would last a bit longer! Hope you’re well and thanks so much for dropping by! :)

• Crafty Garden Hoe September 1, 2013 at 9:36 pm #

Hasn’t it been marvellous! Shaky start but it more then made up for it.

Hope we continue to get some good weather I’ve gut squashes and sweetcorn to ripen!

Emma x

• Anna B September 2, 2013 at 4:53 am #

I hope we continue with the good weather for the sake of the veggies! Thanks so much for dropping by :)