Published from the plot! Taking time out in the garden

greenhouse

I started my blog for many reasons, one being a reminder to switch off from work and concentrate on the things I enjoy in my life.

Gardening helps me to achieve a healthy work-life balance and it hasn’t been a problem lately. In fact I’ve been outside so much that my blogging balance has taken a serious hit! I also work for a much better company now and I’m not subjected to 24/7 corporate bashing anymore and I find it far easier to leave work behind.

Talking of which, this week I do feel in need of a rest, I want a break! So I’ve taken myself off to the plot with Molly (my newish dog) to do some serious chilling out.

greenhouse
Can you see Molly sniffing around under the turkish bed?

Adam’s been building a new shed (wait till you see this ‘shed’ – it’s more of a summer house/chalet!) so there’s bits and bobs of rubble all over the place waiting to be re-homed.

I’ve done some pottering and I’ve also been chatting to my fellow ‘allotmenteers’ Norman and Bill. Oh to be retired and do this every day!

allotment messI’m still waiting for my strawberries to turn red in amongst all the rubble.

I’ve also been sitting in the sunshine with my feet up, watching all the bees doing their work in my  higgledy-piggledy wildlife border.

wildlife garden

gooseberriesMy wildlife border started out as my fruit border but now we mix the soft fruits in with perennials and annuals, or in the case of the foxgloves – biennials.

I’ve lost count watching the bumblebees buzzing in and out of the foxgloves.

foxgloves

I loved sitting and chilling but as usual the British weather has brought the clouds, so I’ve decided to catch up with my blog.

In my last garden update I said I was having trouble finding time to blog and joked about an internet connection in the greenhouse! Well, today I’ve actually made that happen.

I’ve plugged my iPhone into my laptop and turned on its wireless hotspot. I’ve  successfully uploaded my photos and typed up this blog post on-line from the new shed! Let’s see what happens when I click publish…

new shed being builtA quick glimpse of the new ‘shed’. We still need to paint it and Adam wants to do something amazing with the roof! Watch this space!

I could really get used to this lifestyle! If only the ‘shed’ was my full time home office.

Have you ever thought about working from the garden? Do you find time to chill out and enjoy your outdoor space?

37 Responses to “Published from the plot! Taking time out in the garden”

1. Christina June 27, 2013 at 2:45 pm #

Being able to blog directly from the garden seems ideal, but you still need to take time out from gardening to do it! Love the shed, is it going to have a living roof? I hope so, it would look great. Christina

• Anna B June 27, 2013 at 2:56 pm #

Hello Christina! I’m enjoying taking some time out and catching up! I do have more rubble tidying, potting on, weeding and the shed painting to do….but it can wait :) I love just enjoying time to sit, think and observe. To enjoy the surroundings. Now it’s raining so I’m enjoying surfing from the garden shed! You could very well be right about that roof!!! I’m so excited about him finishing it off but he’s more of a starter than a finisher so it could be a while. Hope you’re having a good day too! Thanks so much for dropping by :)

2. djdfr June 27, 2013 at 4:04 pm #

I don’t do much chilling out in the garden, but I certainly enjoy being there, even if I am puttering about, semi-weeding.

• Anna B June 27, 2013 at 4:11 pm #

Pottering and semi-weeding counts as relaxation in my books :) As long as you enjoy it that’s all that matters :) Hope you’re well! Thanks so much for dropping by!

3. Cathy June 27, 2013 at 5:14 pm #

I agree with that Anna – just being in the garden is so nurturing it doesn’t matter whether I am rambling, pottering or sitting, but I guess you can imagine which I do most of! I have recently bought a ‘thingy’ to plug in to a socket in the sitooterie and extend our wireless reception so I can write my blog from there, but haven’t got round to reading the instructions yet! Great pictures, and your shed will be such an asset – and will look even better when it is painted and has a living roof!!! Good to be hearing from you again and well done for escaping corporate bashing and finding a new job!

• Anna B June 27, 2013 at 5:35 pm #

Haha! Thanks Cathy! Escaping the corporate bashing was one of the best things I’ve ever done! I’m glad you enjoy the nurturing experience of being in the garden too. I’m looking forward to your first blog post published from the garden too! Thanks so much for your comment :)

4. Maggie Wallace June 27, 2013 at 7:15 pm #

We have wonderful news – after ages we got to the top of the list at our local allotments, and now are on a trial period of half a plot! :-) So the last few weeks it’s been dig dig dig and weed weed weed! Eventually got on to do the first plantings – some beans and courgettes from the seed give-away you ran on behalf of http://www.seedparade.co.uk/ . Some peas have gone in since, and more will over the weekend if it isn’t raining too much! Sunday we hope visit some of the gardens around Sefton Park that are open to the public under The National Gardens Scheme. ( http://www.ngs.org.uk )

Yesterday John (OH) mended our Munty frame, and planted out some beans in our garden at home. We’ve enjoyed some garlic scape pesto from the Music garlic we planted way back last November. Weeds going berserk, but just taking out the odd few when get a moment as our main weeding impetus is on the lottie – an awful lot of couch grass and bindweed down there, so it’s very slow going as need to dig so deep to get the roots up!

Your new shed looks fandabulous! We inherited half a shed with the lottie, but our fellow new allotmenter is thinking of getting his own shed when the 3 month trial is up. So I guess we win it all then, though it needs a lot of work… The base is rather rotten, so we’re not sure if it’s repairable. I’m going to “shabby chic” it if it is. If not, we’ve got the old glass doors that were in our living room here at new home, a pair of folding doors… These would make a wonderful set of doors to a new shed! But suspect John not really up to making a shed to fit them. Ah well, I can dream! Since this is practically long enough to be a blog post in itself I might pinch some of it back to post on may own blog! Hope that’s OK!

Well done for getting the wireless hookup working. Now I’m wondering if our home wireless will reach as far as the shed in the garden! ;-)

• Anna B June 27, 2013 at 9:41 pm #

Hello Maggie! Wonderful news about your allotment! I can tell you must be really enjoying it and have lots of plans! I’m delighted you’re using your seeds too! All sounds fabulous and I look forward to following your digging and weeding on your blog :-) brill news! Thanks so much for your comment!

5. Greenhousestarter June 27, 2013 at 7:58 pm #

What a lovely plot and an amazing Summer House! We have foxgloves so I know what you mean about watching the bees. It is raining in Northern England today but we enjoyed a drink sitting in the greenhouse, so I think a garden building is brilliant. I look forward to seeing more.

• Anna B June 27, 2013 at 9:43 pm #

Hello there! Yes it rained on.me a bit later this afternoon too and it is good to have somewhere to shelter! Foxgloves are great aren’t they! Thanks so much for dropping by :-)

6. Maggie Wallace June 27, 2013 at 8:02 pm #

Just found a link to the gardens around Sefton Park we hope to visit on Sunday. Hope it works, as it was the result of a search.

• Anna B June 27, 2013 at 9:44 pm #

The link works! Thanks so much Maggie! Hope you have a great time :)

7. Cathy June 27, 2013 at 8:30 pm #

Your foxgloves are beautiful – how lovely to sit and watch the bees humming in and out! Being online in the garden shed must be great when a shower comes too! The shed does look great – in fact the whole plot looks lovely, as if you have some privacy there. Hope you can enjoy a few more days pottering – nothing like it for peace and relaxation. :D

• Anna B June 27, 2013 at 9:50 pm #

Hi Cathy! The plot does feel very private indeed and it’s never usually packed out with other people, we somehow seem to garden at different times. We have lilac trees on one side, fruit trees in the middle and an elder on the other so despite there being some houses behind us we’re not overlooked and the lilacs make the plot feel cozy and not exposed. Having our own house just along the street really does make it feel like our garden too so we just love to escape to it! I loved the picture on your blog with your picnic blanket hanging up. We have a lot of picnics too! Thanks so much for dropping by :-)

8. rusty duck June 27, 2013 at 9:01 pm #

I am in awe. Getting the internet working in my study is enough of a job, the greenhouse is aspirational! That is one classy shed.

• Anna B June 27, 2013 at 9:56 pm #

Ah thanks rusty duck! I have Adam to thank for the greenhouse and shed. He really is very talented and made both out of ‘things’ that were given to us, I.e. windows for the greenhouse and the patio doors for the shed. I don’t know how he works out the construction! Thanks so much for your lovely comment :)

9. rogerbrook June 27, 2013 at 9:07 pm #

When you are retired like me you can be in the garden all the time… well almost other than when you are dragged inside to do a chore..

• Anna B June 27, 2013 at 9:53 pm #

Haha! There’s nothing worse than chores Roger, I totally agree! I need to work out a plan so I can retire early, I know I’d love it! Thanks so.much for your comment :)

10. Allotment adventures with Jean June 28, 2013 at 3:40 am #

What fun, publishing from the garden shed!

• Anna B June 28, 2013 at 6:21 am #

Hi Jean! It’s certainly helped me get my blogging mojo back! Thanks so much for your comment :)

11. Jules June 28, 2013 at 7:50 am #

Anna, your garden looks so idyllic. I love the Turkish bed! My wireless broadband does reach down the back garden, but I have nowhere to sit down to utilise it for leisure. Loving the shed and interested to hear about roof plans as I have thoughts of creating a living roof when my new shed arrives.

• Anna B July 1, 2013 at 1:29 pm #

Hi Jules! I’m interested to know how and when Adam is going to do the roof too! You can be sure I will take photos and do a post on this :) Thanks so much for your comment and for dropping by!

12. gardeninacity June 28, 2013 at 10:52 pm #

Your shed is turning out very deluxe!

• Anna B July 1, 2013 at 1:33 pm #

Hi Jason! I had in mind a completely different type of shed but I must say I am very happy with this deluxe model :) Hope you’re well! Thanks for your comment!

13. Ricki Grady June 29, 2013 at 6:53 pm #

The shed looks like a perfect retreat. I don’t know: maybe it is the bits and snatches that make gardening so attractive. If we did it full time it might begin to resemble a “job”.

• Anna B July 1, 2013 at 1:40 pm #

Hi Ricki! Exactly! Gardening should be enjoyed and not seen as a chore. Part of enjoying it is to sit back and just watch nature in action :) Hope you’re well Ricki! Thanks so much for dropping by!

14. Of Gardens June 30, 2013 at 2:20 am #

My garden is where I do relax and unwind. I don’t have wireless connection though,and I envy your ability to blog while in your garden!

• Anna B July 1, 2013 at 2:50 pm #

Hello Of Gardens! Glad to hear you enjoy relaxing in the garden too! iPhone technology means I can have wireless pretty much anywhere now! It’s quite useful. :) Thanks so much for dropping by!

15. Caro June 30, 2013 at 11:23 am #

Hello again Anna! I’ve just been reading through the comments above (sooo interesting!) – how talented is Adam to build your greenhouse himself!! Your allotment is just amazing – I thought it was your garden – but to have such a wonderful space AND a garden, what bliss! I SO need my own garden, with a haven of a shed; in rainfall here, I either carry on or make a bolt for it back upstairs. (Usually the former, haha!) I’ve been too busy over the last month (my own fault), as a result I notice the changes in the garden. My new white foxglove has opened and is stunning, as is the recently flowering hosta! Lots more happening (beans! fruit!) and lots not happening as too busy to plant. Have loved reading about your garden – I must visit one day!! Hope you’re both very very well! Caro xx

• Anna B July 6, 2013 at 1:17 pm #

Hi Caro! Adam is super talented and very handy to have around!! I do love this space, it feels very private despite having about 4 terrace houses behind us, although they are further away than they look on the photos. Would be brilliant if you visited one day! Perhaps we should try for a northern meet up?! Hope you’re enjoying this wonderful weather! xx

16. Kevin-Andrew July 1, 2013 at 8:44 pm #

How wonderful! I would love to work from the garden unfortunately, the library won’t let me. Ha! Anyhow, you have a beautiful allotment. Thank you for sharing!

• Anna B July 6, 2013 at 1:10 pm #

Hi dude! Thanks very much! :)

17. PlantPostings July 2, 2013 at 9:19 pm #

As I’m reading your post, I’m out in my sunroom listening to the birds chirping and the chipmunks and squirrels squawking, and looking out the windows on three sides. Can’t beat this type of office! It’s a perfect day, and I’m so glad I’m not stuck in a cubicle. Great blog! I found you on Blooming Blogs. Cheers!

• Anna B July 6, 2013 at 1:12 pm #

Sounds great! We’re enjoying some kind of heatwave here at the minute so it’s been full steam ahead again with improvements and planting :) Thanks so much for dropping by!

18. Nadezda July 20, 2013 at 7:55 am #

Oh, what a gooseberry! I think they are delicious!

1. Growing a special bean in time for Christmas - dig the outside - October 17, 2013

[...] I’ve been spending time in the greenhouse on seed sowing and potting on duties, container gardening, some light weeding and cutting flowers. This is a big change for us as I normally do my fair share of that plus the digging and veg planting while Adam builds things. This year he’s had to do pretty much everything apart from pick flowers and light weeding! No wonder he’s still not finished the shed! [...]