Why I love my greenhouse – or any greenhouse for that matter!

IMG_20120908_164101

A couple of weeks back on Gardeners’ World, Monty Don introduced his new greenhouse and it was just awesome! A really high roofed greenhouse built on a brick foundation and he seemed completely over the moon with it. That’s exactly how I felt when Adam built ours.

When I first met Adam I had no idea just how good he was at wood working but he did enjoy spending time at the allotment doing the odd bit here and there.

turkish_bed

His first major creation was our ‘Turkish bed’ that he made after holidays in Turkey, Thailand and Borneo where we just loved these big lounging seats. It went down very well with the other folk at the allotments who loved it too and they soon started to refer to my allotment as Adam’s!!! Hang on, hang on, I plant all the veg?!!?!!

It seems that wooden structures are admired by many and when Adam built our greenhouse in spring 2011 it was adored by everyone and it seems the plants we grow inside it love it too.

greenhouse_summer

I’ve always had a ‘thing’ for greenhouses since my parents bought a beauty when I was about 8 and I love to snap photos of them whenever I can. My latest obsession is the new one at Harlow Carr and of course the alpine house is just out of this world.

harlow_carr_alpine_greenhouse_inside

I also love this quirky number below that I snooped on at my parents’ allotment site. My fellow allotmenteer Michaela has a gorgeous greenhouse too. Another corker is this new one at mytinyplot.com.

gorgeous_greenshousemichaela_greenhouse

So, where’s this going? Okay, I’ll come clean. You may have noticed a new banner on my website for Gabriel Ash who sell amazing greenhouses that are endorsed by my beloved RHS. They even have a range named after the RHS gardens. As you can imagine I fell in love with them and I’ve put a banner on my site for free. I get nothing for that being there. Not a bean.

I’m toying with the idea of having a few tasteful adverts on my site in the future and Gabriel Ash are just the kind of advert I’m happy to have, unlike the adverts my WordPress hosted site used to run, which to my horror some of my visitors clicked on. I decided to go self-hosted so that adverts for products that I definitely do not love would no longer appear and I could instead promote the products and companies that I genuinely admire. So this first step is a way of trialing banners/sponsors without getting too involved. I’m also hoping that as part of my ‘Meet the people‘ series that I can get some expert tips from them about greenhouses. So, it’s a partnership of sorts and maybe it will lead somewhere, maybe it wont. I do think their range is just fab though.

harlow_carr_new_greenhouse

Our greenhouse is really starting to fill up with seedlings now and although I’m fleecing them over at night, last weekend I noticed the temperature in the daytime had reached 30 degrees! Good job I got there in time to let some air in. I’ll attempt to describe just how Adam built our greenhouse at some point, it involves beer and blood! He’s going to build a replacement shed this year too and I can’t wait!

Do you have a greenhouse? Do you love it? Do you want a greenhouse? Do you have a strange obsession with garden ‘structures’ of any kind?!

49 Responses to “Why I love my greenhouse – or any greenhouse for that matter!”

1. Charlie@Seattle Trekker April 10, 2013 at 10:29 pm #

I so want a greenhouse. This year I have pulled material for a cold frame. The greenhouse will come in time. My comment on your post is that your greenhouse examples are quite beautiful.

• Anna B April 11, 2013 at 2:54 am #

Hi Charlie! I have a cold frame too, luckily Adam made that as well. The greenhouse has enabled us to grow far more veggies than I used to be able to grow in the climate we have over here. Hope you enjoy your cold frame and thanks so much for your comment :-)

2. judithegardener April 11, 2013 at 5:28 am #

Hi Anna, love your post, you are brilliant at the written word and I can relate to your healthiest of obsessions when it comes to greenhouses and wooden structures in the garden / allotment.. I have also been approached by companies asking me to display their wares on my web presence.. my instinct is telling me to stay away, but then if I have used a piece of equipment that has been brilliant, I am always happy to let that be known, Jury’s out.. for now. Your Adam sounds fantastically talented with wood work and I wish I had an Adam too! ;-)

• Anna B April 11, 2013 at 6:57 am #

Hello Judy! Aw thank you so much for your kind words! Isn’t it funny how we can have these obsessions (healthy like you say) for greenhouses or anything really when it comes to the garden and allotment! I was just mortified when WordPress rolled ads on my site for all manner of products (that I wont name now) that I just had no control over. I’ve also been contacted by companies who I just have no affinity with whatsoever. I think the nice thing with Gabriel Ash is that I’ve put that there to see how I feel about it and can remove it if it starts to trouble me! They’re awesome there though and having seen their greenhouses at Harlow Carr I know they’re quality. Hoping to get some greenhouse advice off them soon too, which I’m really looking forward to! Thanks so much for dropping by Judy! I hope all is going well with you and that you’re having some milder weather :) x

3. Cathy April 11, 2013 at 6:17 am #

I would love a greenhouse, but the time just isn’t right, as a lot of other work has priority! One day… sigh! The link is a great idea, as I’ve already had a look and drooled over several plant houses! Thanks for sharing! :D

• Anna B April 19, 2013 at 11:18 pm #

Hi Cathy! It will be worth waiting for :) I’m so pleased you enjoyed my post and enjoyed looking at the plant houses! Thanks so much for your comment :)

4. Christina April 11, 2013 at 6:17 am #

I love your high-roofed greenhouse. It isn’t common to have a greenhouse here in Italy but if you want to grow from seed they are essential even here. In January, without the shade netting up but with the door open the temperatures reached the high 30°’s C, one day reaching 39.8°C!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The shading went up in February, though the month was much more cloudy anyway so that temperatures are now more stable. I’d like to say that the day the temperature was 39 during the day the night time temp fell to 0.8°C – stressfull for the seedling or what? Christina

• Anna B April 19, 2013 at 11:20 pm #

Hello Christina! That is extreme temperature indeed! The plants must get quite a shock! I bet you’re enjoying some nice weather in Italy right now. I hope so anyway. It’s been lovely here hence my lack of activity on the internet! It rained today though so I got myself back online :) Hopefully I can catch up on some blog reading this weekend too. Thanks so much for dropping by!

5. Cathy April 11, 2013 at 8:32 am #

Anna, you and I are so lucky to have our Adam and our Golfer, aren’t we? I am sure you don’t take Adam’s skills for granted any more that I do the Golfer’s. I was a little concerned to see the shade potential of where your lovely greenhouse is, as it took us a while to realise that’s what the problem was with the one that was here when we came. When we decided to relocate (and downsize, as it was overly huge) it to a less shady part of the garden he did offer to build me one, but I declined. I was thrilled to be able to grow tomatoes again after years of failure, and this year the greenhouse is already fuller than it has ever been!

• Anna B April 19, 2013 at 11:24 pm #

Hello Cathy! We are lucky indeed :) I’ve had no problems with the location of the greenhouse, last year it was rammed and everything just grew and grew! It was like a jungle for most of the summer! As quick as I could trim the tomato plants back they just shot out more and more! I love it in there. I’m so pleased you’re enjoying growing tomatoes too :)

• Cathy April 20, 2013 at 8:23 pm #

That’s great, I’m glad shade isn’t a problem

• Anna B April 20, 2013 at 9:10 pm #

I can see why it might look shady in the photos but the sun rises right infront of it a bit to the left then stares at the front all day before moving to shine on the side with the door. It’s so high at the back we need ladders to get to the top shelf and the stuff up there just loves it. I tend to look after the lower levels and send Adam up top!!

6. wellywoman April 11, 2013 at 9:05 am #

We bought our greenhouse in November and although it is small I love it. It’s made a huge difference already and I can’t wait to stuff it with even more plants. I love Gabriel Ash greenhouses too. A wooden greenhouse on a brick base is my dream but I’m more than happy with my little one. I’ve wanted one for such a long time it’s very much appreciated.

• Anna B April 19, 2013 at 11:26 pm #

Hello Wellywoman! It can be such a turning point getting a greenhouse can’t it. I don’t know what I’d do without mine now. Grow less I guess?! Looking forward to seeing your gardening updates this summer :) Thanks so much for dropping by!

7. annie_h April 11, 2013 at 9:22 am #

I’m afraid I’m guilty of greenhouse envy!
    I love them and plan to get one in my garden but I need to sort out the paving first and keep putting it off. I use a couple of mini-plastic greenhouses, which actually you can get quite a lot in but really act as a coldframe rather than greenhouse, for hardening off seedlings that I grow in my back bedroom or for sowing more hardy veg and flowers.
    I love looking at all the random greenhouse structures that you see at allotments and I’m hoping to have my own there too soon, as a friend acquired some old windows for me and is planning some sort of structure, so we’ll see what it ends up like!
    Yours looks great, good to have someone so handy at building things.

• Anna B April 19, 2013 at 11:27 pm #

Hello Annie! Well that’s how our greenhouse started – with a load of old windows! It’s amazing what you can build. Those little greenhouses are very handy aren’t they. I know a lot of people who use those with great success. Thanks so much for your comment :)

8. Jo April 11, 2013 at 9:39 am #

My greenhouse is only 6′X4′ but it’s big enough to start my seedlings off in there and also to grow a few tomato and pepper plants inside. I would love a bigger greenhouse one day, but there’s other things which must come first, unfortunately.

• Anna B April 19, 2013 at 11:30 pm #

Hello Jo! Tomatoes and peppers just love greenhouses though don’t they so if you can fit those in then it’s ideal! I used to grow peppers every year in my plot before my greenhouse and I was lucky if I grew one small, tough, bitter thing! In the greenhouse they just grow and grow! Hope you’ve been enjoying the better weather recently. Thanks so much for dropping by :)

9. thesneakymagpie April 11, 2013 at 12:20 pm #

I do love my greenhouse, I have no idea what I would do without it, it is full already. Unfortunately I had to go for a plastic one with a small child glass seemed deadly but I do hope to have a beautiful Victorian greenhouse one day. Yours is great!

• Anna B April 19, 2013 at 11:32 pm #

I would be lost without mine too! I don’t blame you for going for plastic. Adam had a few disasters with the glass when he was making it and I thought we should have filled the odd shaped panels with plastic too! Thanks so much for your comment :)

10. gardeninacity April 11, 2013 at 2:36 pm #

I’m so jealous of your greenhouse! And I say give the ads a try and see how it works.

• Anna B April 19, 2013 at 11:32 pm #

Thanks Jason! I really appreciate your feedback :)

11. djdfr April 11, 2013 at 2:53 pm #

I worked in the greenhouse when I was in school; it was a haven. Of course, in the back of my mind was the desire for one ever since and now that has been fulfilled. I enjoy it greatly, even just going in there for a few minutes. Right now there are plants being overwintered and seedlings coming along, some lettuce is ready to eat.

• Anna B April 19, 2013 at 11:33 pm #

Hello there! Sounds like things are doing well in your greenhouse. I know exactly what you mean about it being a haven, it’s lovely to pop in before work and open the greenhouse. It’s very grounding :)

12. Jane Scorer April 11, 2013 at 5:24 pm #

I love spending time in my greenhouse when it is cold and dreary outside. It is so snug and cosy. I have 2 chairs in there too so it is nice to have a sit and a think … I loved Monty Don’s lovely high greenhouse, looking forward to seeing what he will grow in there. I am in the process of training my grapevine through into the warm – it has its feet outside in the cool, but , when it is a little bigger, it will be trained through a special grapevine – sized gap, so it can come into the warm !

• Anna B April 20, 2013 at 9:20 pm #

Hello Jane! I am also very fond of sitting in the greenhouse on my little stripey deckchair! I’ve been known to have a little sleep in ther because its so cozy and sunny! Great idea for your grapevine! We have one too and it grows teeny little grapes, hoping for a bigger crop this year. I’ll be interested to see how you get on. Thanks so much for your comment :)

13. home, garden, life April 11, 2013 at 7:33 pm #

What is the difference between a glasshouse and a greenhouse? I love them all and would love one here. Alas, I will continue to dream.

• Anna B April 21, 2013 at 6:04 am #

Hi Diane! I think think they’re both the same, we tend to call them greenhouses over here. Very handy things indeed!

14. PlantPostings April 11, 2013 at 7:59 pm #

I have a small portable greenhouse that my husband bought for me last fall. I can’t wait to set it up! I’ll have to follow your blog for advice on how to organize it. Most of all, I’m excited by the idea of extending my growing season a bit! Glad to find you on Blooming Blogs!

• Anna B April 23, 2013 at 9:08 pm #

Hello there! Glad to have found your blog too :) Hopefully I can bring you some advice on greenhouses direct from the experts very soon! Thanks so much for dropping by :)

15. Anna April 11, 2013 at 9:45 pm #

In the words of William Cowper – “Who loves a garden loves a greenhouse too”. Now on my third greenhouse Anna but with each one I want bigger :) My absolute favourite room in the house (well you know what I mean)

• Anna B April 23, 2013 at 9:09 pm #

Ah! Indeed :) My favourite room too! I find it very calm and peaceful in there amongst my plants. Thanks so much for a lovely comment :)

16. Janet/PlantalisciousJ April 12, 2013 at 9:40 am #

I love the look of your turkish lounger bed, it has got me thinking about whether we could have one on our patio… Adam is clearly a bit of a boy wonder in the woodworking department, I assumed you had bought your lovely greenhouse at considerable expense! I ummed and ahhed for ages about buying my little 6′ x 6′ aluminum greenhouse as I thought we were going to be moving soon, but as that was three years ago I got two wonderful growing seasons with it before we moved here, and became hopelessly addicted. I got a high eaves version for better air flow, and although I rather envied others with lovely wooden ones, this was what I could afford. It is now sat just by the patio and is full of plants, and I always hankered after a larger one, so I was thrilled to inherit a cedar 6′ x 8′ when we moved here! It is a little battered, and in need to re-building and staining I think, and it has a leak in the roof that I haven’t tracked down, but it provides the perfect environment for growing on seedlings and I love it dearly already.

• Anna B April 23, 2013 at 9:12 pm #

Hello Janet! What a great comment! I loved reading that! How wonderful to inherrit a lovely cedar wood greenhouse! I’m hoping to get some expert advice on those really soon :) We have a couple of leaks too! I actually find it quite amusing as it just puzzles Adam so much! The greenhouse is the ideal place to shelter from the rain but I have to make sure I don’t shelter in the leaky spot! Thanks so much for dropping by and for your comment. It’s great finding out more about your greenhouse experience!

17. Nadezda April 12, 2013 at 4:42 pm #

Anna, I have my greenhouse and glad I purchased it! I grow there tomatoes and in a space between them I sow dill, onions, basil. If it’s cold outside I put my flowers and seedlings in.

• Anna B April 23, 2013 at 9:13 pm #

Hello Nadezda! So nice to hear you love your greenhouse too! They are so handy aren’t they. I grow tomatoes in mine too, it’s like a jungle in there when they get going! Thanks so much for dropping by :)

18. Sue Andrews April 12, 2013 at 6:41 pm #

Hi Anna, I have greenhouse envy looking at those piccies. I have an 8×6 donated ( from a friend) one with a few cracked panes which means I can’t put the tender plants out till the danger of frost is past.
    I keep looking at the garden and wondering if I could get away with another one ( or a polytunnel) why do we always want more? I can manage 16 plants in there, far too many I am sure, but I can’t bear to throw anyway once I have spent time and effort coaxing them to grow. I think I need help!
    Sue

• Anna B April 23, 2013 at 9:16 pm #

Hello Sue! I am the same with the plants!!! I never throw any away!!! I think there’s a few people, lots of comments on here too about wanting a bigger greenhouse or another one. My dream would be 3 acres full of greenhouses and poly tunnels!!! Funny how we can become so enamored with these things. Thanks so much for dropping by :)

19. Ricki Grady April 12, 2013 at 11:02 pm #

What gardener doesn’t long for a greenhouse? The one Adam built on the allotment is charm personified…exactly the kind I fantasize about.

• Anna B April 23, 2013 at 9:18 pm #

Ah thanks Ricki! I shall let him know. It took him so long to finish it. He started it off so quick but those last few little bits seemed to take forever! I think he enjoyed building it so much he didnt want it to end! He’s building a new shed this year but that’s the opposite, it’s taking him ages to start!! Thanks so much for your comment :)

20. Helen April 13, 2013 at 6:24 pm #

I’ve discovered that one greenhouse is never enough! I’ve currently got 2, one for my alpines and other miscellaneous plants, and one for the tomatoes/courgettes/etc. Though, if I had enough room, I’m fairly sure I could fill a third. Or at least, I’d have a lot of fun trying!!
    I secretly dream of having a “proper” old fashioned greenhouse like Monty Don’s, but not a free standing one, oh no, it would be a “lean to” that was attached to a long wall, which would be part of a walled garden… *starts to drool slightly* ;)

• Anna B April 23, 2013 at 9:22 pm #

Aw Helen I love those lean to’s too and a walled garden…. I am drooling too!! There’s a lovely walled garden and greenhouse at Temple Newsam park in Leeds, I’ll take some photos next time I visit :) Thanks so much for your comment and your dog looks ace too!!

21. notjustgreenfingers April 20, 2013 at 6:14 am #

I love my greenhouse, but it’s true that what ever size you buy, you will need a larger one lol. Mine is so full at the moment, it is fit to burst

• Anna B April 20, 2013 at 7:26 am #

Completely agree!! Couldn’t do without one, would secretly love a bigger one! I forgot to mention that Adam’s patents actually have one each! How’s that for spoilt!

22. notjustgreenfingers April 20, 2013 at 6:20 am #

Forgot to say, I am really impressed that you now host your own blog and you are starting to have sponcers. This is something I have always intended to do, but I am worried that I don’t have enough ‘views’ to do this. Can I be nosy and ask how many views the advertisers ask for before they will sponcer a blog as I’ve always wondered this?

• Anna B April 20, 2013 at 7:33 am #

Hello there! They don’t always ask or really care. If you get a lot of page views and you want to have a few adverts google ads could be good for you. You would need to self host though. The thing I found was that WordPress were putting tons of adverts on my site for products I would never endorse (from weight loss to BT) what has that got to do with gardening?! So that’s why I chose to migrate.

23. notjustgreenfingers April 20, 2013 at 8:00 pm #

Thnaks Anna for your advice, I’ll give it some thought

24. gorgeousgreenhouse March 24, 2014 at 2:47 pm #

I would love you to visit my gorgeous green house in africa: gorgeousgreenhouse.wordpress.com

1. Meet the people - interview with Robin Parker of Gabriel Ash! - dig the outside - May 2, 2013

[...] may have gathered that I adore my greenhouse, which Adam built a couple of years ago. The photo above was taken last year and the greenhouse is [...]