Back from the snow and into the snow…

Well it snow surprise that we suddenly get a massive dump of the fluffy white stuff just when everyone was starting to enjoy the unusually mild winter! I’ve had a wonderful holiday in Andorra, hitting the ski slopes, where there was a slight lack of snow (but enough to ski and snowboard) and I must say that coming back was a REAL downer. Wow! If January blues aren’t hard enough add a dose of post holiday blues on top and that was me all last week. I’m finally coming out of it though and just as I thought I had nothing to write my fingers have started tapping. I thought I was going to have to change my blog to ‘dig the inside’ since all I found myself doing was vegetating in front of the TV – a very unusual activity for me.  andorra
The good news is that my seedlings have survived without me. The sweet peas are looking a little leggy though and this is when I wish I had a conservatory to put them in to give them as much light as possible. The ones I sowed in the greenhouse in November are only just coming through and are still tiny.

sweetpeasleeksbroadbeans

The garden is looking delightful and I’m really glad I left my pots of bulbs in the greenhouse and in the cold frame. The ones planted outside are doing very well and the snow seems to enliven them unlike the violas which look a little droopy. I have no doubt that they will spring back though and I’m carefully deadheading them to give them as much growing energy as possible.

bulbs_in_snow

This is a short but double whammy post because along with my updates I’ve also published the first of my ‘month by month‘ series. I’m absolutely no expert but people keep asking me what they should/could be doing in their gardens. I direct them to plenty of websites, but still they ask. So to accompany what I’m doing I’ll also post a monthly list. Please feel free to help me with this and add links to your posts.

garden_snow

As well as getting back into writing I’m looking forward to catching up on reading all my favourite blogs too. I plan to make some changes to my website this month, including a list of the blogs I read and I also plan to do lots of sketching with my new kit that I won from casual casual easy thing!

I hope you’re all doing well this January and you haven’t succumbed to the blues. What plans do you have for the rest of the month?

Tags: , , , , ,

25 Responses to “Back from the snow and into the snow…”

1. Mark Willis January 20, 2013 at 6:55 pm #

Are you finding WordPress better than Blogger? I think they are both pretty frustrating! The trouble is I can’t follow you with Google Friend Connect… :( I’m trying very hard NOT to sow any seeds just yet, because they are bound to go leggy if I do. Wish I had a heated greenhouse.

2. Anna B January 20, 2013 at 7:14 pm #

Hi Mark, I do find wordpress better but still find some drawbacks with their hosted version. I’m going to self-host soon and there’s a variety of plugins available so I’ll see what’s on offer for better wordpress/google integration. Leggy seedlings are definitely a problem this time of year, I can heat my greenhouse with a strange gas contraption that Adam set up last year but we only do this in March – June when those nasty late frosts occur and we have lots of plants in there by then. Hoping to get my sweet peas into the greenhouse soon, especially when the ones I planted in November are actually starting to grow in these cold conditions. It’s interesting to see what happens! Thanks so much for dropping by :)

3. djdfr January 20, 2013 at 7:51 pm #

I should try some sweet peas. I enjoyed seeing your seedlings. Today I was preparing a seed order. I hope to sow some leaf lettuce in the greenhouse.

• Anna B January 23, 2013 at 10:53 pm #

Hello djdfr! Thanks so much for your comment! I’m looking forward to seeing how your lettuce gets on in the greenhouse :)

4. Cathy January 20, 2013 at 7:54 pm #

Welcome back! It seems quite strange seeing healthy pots of trays of seedlings in January – wonderful, nevertheless. I do have some seeds to be sown in February, though, so hopefully I shall have some healthy pots and trays of seedlings too!

• Anna B January 20, 2013 at 8:12 pm #

Hi Cathy! Thank you!! Yes it does seem a bit weird to me too, especially since it’s covered in snow outside and not forecast to thaw out soon! I can’t wait till February! Thanks for dropping by :)

5. Sue@GLAllotments January 20, 2013 at 8:09 pm #

Not much in the way of snow here

• Anna B January 20, 2013 at 8:14 pm #

Hello Sue! Isn’t it funny how the weather can vary so much and I don’t think we’re that far away from each other? It’s clear on the roads here though, so that’s one good thing!

6. gardeninacity January 20, 2013 at 8:28 pm #

Skiing in Andorra – sounds fun and kind of exotic at the same time. Sounds like fun for someone else, that is, as I am no skiier. Our first snowdrops have also emerged, though we’ve been hit by a hard freeze again. Welcome back!

• Anna B January 20, 2013 at 8:29 pm #

Yes I sometimes wonder what kind of ‘holiday’ it is when I’m nursing my bruises and aching all over! Snowdrops are wonderful little plants aren’t they, they’re sure to survive the freeze too. Thanks for the welcome back and thanks for dropping by :)

7. Cathy January 20, 2013 at 9:42 pm #

Hi there! Loads of snow here, which rescued me from the winter blues! Since I don’t have a greenhouse nor sunny windowsills, my seeds will have to wait until March or April… I used to be tempted to sow earlier but learned my lesson so often! Glad you’re getting back into the swing of things, Anna. :D

• Anna B January 20, 2013 at 9:45 pm #

Hello Cathy! Glad the snow is fending off any blues! Yes, I wholeheartedly agree that if you don’t have anywhere to sow at this time of year then it’s definitely best to wait. Thanks so much for dropping by :)

8. Samantha Fernley January 20, 2013 at 10:54 pm #

So lovely to see seedlings and bulbs coming up. Roll on spring as I’m bored now. My dad called to ask what I would be growing this year as he supplies all the seeds and even starts some off for me in his greenhouse. (lucky me) Exciting that it’s all starting again.

• Anna B January 21, 2013 at 12:03 pm #

Thats so nice of your dad! My mum always buys my seed potatoes and starts chitting them for me :) Roll on spring indeed!! Thanks so much for dropping by!

9. Holleygarden January 21, 2013 at 3:26 am #

Skiing! How fun! Your seedlings look wonderful. I usually start seeds every year, but they get so leggy, I have to throw them out! :O It’s nice to see shoots of green poking out of the snow. I’m ready for spring!

• Anna B January 21, 2013 at 12:05 pm #

It is nice to see things growing despite the snow! I am concerned that with this ultra grey sky I might have a few more problems with leggy seedlings, but I try anyway! I would only recommend early sowing if you have the right space and conditions. I’m ready for spring too! Thanks so much for your comment :)

10. Anna January 21, 2013 at 11:31 am #

Hello fellow Anna Moss! Glad you like the notebook and pens :) Your seedlings look to be coming along nicely, I haven’t planted anything yet, must get to it! x

• Anna B January 21, 2013 at 12:06 pm #

I love the notebook and pens! Doodling during last weeks ‘downer’ was a great help! There’s still plenty of time to sow :) Thanks for dropping by! x

11. Anna January 21, 2013 at 12:15 pm #

Oh but that Andorran sky looks gloriously blue Anna. Hope that you enjoyed your holiday. Those broad beans look happy and healthy. I’m still resisting the urge to sow :)

• Anna B January 21, 2013 at 12:45 pm #

Hello! Yes, the blue sky and sunshine was amazing! Shame I couldn’t bring that back. I think you do right to resist at the minute, far too grey out there!

12. Fay January 21, 2013 at 12:37 pm #

Welcome back to longer days and things beginning to wake up. My plans for January are simple, keep warm, head down and enjoy the start of things to come. I love this time of year, the promise of a great season ahead.

Sorry to hear you had less snow than you needed in Andorra – we had lots in France when off on similar adventures, infact probably a bit too much.

Snow just starting here, but probably won’t stay for long before its blown away. The willlows are starting to waken up, sure sign lifes a stirring.

I’m pondering the change from blogger to wordpress………..just can’t make up my mind……

• Anna B January 21, 2013 at 1:51 pm #

Hello Fay! I like wordpress and you have the option to self-host too which means you can really customise your website exactly how you want. The hosted version’s spam filter seems pretty good too. I’ve not self-hosted yet but thinking seriously about it. It’s so nice to hear that you like this time of year! I’ve been so miserable since returning from my holiday but you’ve really cheered me up! I too will start to embrace this time and look forward to a good season ahead :) Thanks so much for your comment.

13. wellywoman January 22, 2013 at 10:47 am #

Glad to hear you had a good time. We’ve been tempted to go on holiday in January but I always get post holiday blues and don’t think I could cope with that and winter blues too. :) It’s getting so much lighter on an evening, 5pm last night so I can see light at the end of the tunnel now. I’m resisting with the seeds. Mid Feb will be my first sowings. I’ve just got a heated propagator so that should help things along.

WordPress every time. ;)

• Anna B January 22, 2013 at 7:40 pm #

Hello Wellywoman! You’re gona love your heated propagator! I’m feeling a lot more positive now too. Thinking about where my next holiday might be also helps!

Thanks so much for dropping by!

1. Summer favourites - sweet peas - dig the outside - September 7, 2013

[...] November: Sowed a batch indoors, they germinated quickly and survived the whole winter on a windowsill. In the new year they went [...]