Gardening in January – what’s growing on?

This month I’ll mostly be…

Did you ever see the Fast Show? If not, the line above will mean nothing but if you did then you might have visions of a funny old man emerging from his shed saying, “this week I’ave mostly been…” This month that’s me, except I’m a short ‘youngish’ girl and at some point this year I will have a new shed!

So, this month I’ll be sorting through all the seeds I’ve collected and been given and I’ll be compiling a list for 2013, which I will post in due course.

bradbeans
I’ve also already got some seedlings on the go in various places around the house. I’ve got broad beans germinating on the top windowsill (Karmazyn and Aquadulce Claudia). I’ve sown them in modules this year. You can start sowing these from November onwards although it’s usual to take a break after November and start again in February but this is only really if you’re sowing directly into the ground. If you have space to sow them indoors you can do this anytime.

I’ve covered mine with polythene bags to get them going. These are the ideal candidates for sowing in the cardboard tubes you find in the middle of toilet rolls or homemade newspaper pots and planting directly out in those at a later date. Once these get too big for my windowsill I’ll transfer them to my cold frame and assess the weather situation then. If it remains mild into February I might plant them out and cover in fleece if we get some cold snaps.
heated_propagator
As planned for January 1st I’ve also sown my giant leeks! I’ve used a blanch variety called Mammoth from Seed Parade. I’ve put these in my heated propagator to give them the best possible start. I’m growing them for a competition so I’ll post updates as I go along. I’ve never grown leeks like this before and really I’ve got no idea what I’m doing to be honest! I’m also going away on holiday next week and I’ll have to turn the propagator off then so they could be a bit of a flop. Watch this space!
sweetpeas_seedlings
I’ve also got some sweet peas germinating. Four different varieties, again from Seed Parade, there is a theory that getting them going earlier can lead to better plants so as 2013 is my year for experimentation I’m going to try this and sow some in spring too so I can compare.

I continuously sow salads and have a new experimental batch growing. Four varieties again from Seed Parade, Mixed Baby Leaf, Organic Lettuce Bowl, Arctic king and All Year Around. Even though I grow a lot of salads I am unsure what will happen with these. I sow all year round but have never done a fresh start like this before in December. They are looking a bit leggy and would benefit from having the top windowsill spot really but that’s been claimed.

Other than that I think I’ll save sowing anything else until February, or at least until after I get back from my holiday. I did a bit of pottering at the allotment on New Year’s Day, just tidying things up and making the place look at bit more presentable. While I was there I had a bit of a snoop and spotted a giant cabbage on one of the plots! I don’t think my photo really highlights just how big it is, quite beastly.
giant_cabbage
What have you got growing on?

Tags: , , , , ,

34 Responses to “Gardening in January – what’s growing on?”

1. djdfr January 2, 2013 at 8:55 pm #

Nothing started yet here, just looking through my seeds and a catalog. I did set a few seeds to see if they will germinate so I know whether to buy more of them or not. Love that top photo.

• Anna B January 2, 2013 at 9:08 pm #

Hello! Thanks for your comment :) I like the sound of your tactic! What seeds are you trying?

• djdfr January 2, 2013 at 9:19 pm #

Two sachets of carrots and various lettuce seeds I have saved. I need to get this year’s moon calender.

• Anna B January 2, 2013 at 10:26 pm #

Cool, it will be interesting to see how they get on :)

2. Allotment Plot 4 January 2, 2013 at 9:44 pm #

We haven’t started sowing seed yet but we FINALLY managed to plant out our garlic yesterday! Good luck with your leeks, fingers crossed for them :)

• Anna B January 2, 2013 at 10:28 pm #

Yay for the garlic! It’s much easier sowing things indoors than trying to get anything outside these last few months with all the rain! I ended up putting some of my garlic into pots because the ground was so cloggy but hoping to plant out more this month too. Thanks so much for dropping by :)

3. Greenhousestarter January 2, 2013 at 10:22 pm #

Monster cabbage! I can just see you popping out of your new shed in wellies, just like Jessie (was that his name?) declaring what you will mostly be growing this week… Nice blog. Happy new year growing!

• Anna B January 2, 2013 at 10:29 pm #

Haha! That was him!! Thanks so much for dropping by and for your comment! I’ve just had a quick look at your blog – interesting potato! I think I’ll enjoy reading through. Thanks again for visiting :)

• Greenhousestarter January 2, 2013 at 10:35 pm #

I like to pick myself up after less successful garden stuff but enjoying the odd weird potato and tomato. Whatever keeps us going!

• Anna B January 2, 2013 at 10:37 pm #

Haha! Absolutely!! :)

4. gardeninacity January 3, 2013 at 12:46 am #

I probably won’t plant anything until March. Love the idea of using toilet paper rolls!

• Anna B January 3, 2013 at 1:31 pm #

Yeah and then you can just pop them straight into the ground when you plant them out. They say you should do this for sweetcorn, but whatever I try with that it never works. Could be a good idea for some of your annuals that you want to experiment with?

5. Sue@GLAllotments January 3, 2013 at 8:35 am #

To be honest we sow most of our seeds from March onwards with just the odd early sowing of things that really need it earlier or things we can pop under the growlight

• Anna B January 3, 2013 at 1:35 pm #

Hi Sue, I usually start in March too. Apart from Salads which I tend to just keep growing all year round. This year is my experimental year! I’m convinced that the amazing pepper seedlings that Michaela (from another plot) gave me, were so good because they had a head start in Feb. We shall see! It might just be her green fingers!

6. Nadezda January 3, 2013 at 8:41 am #

Anna, you’ve planted the seeds, for me it’s very early. I’ll start my seeds on end-February- March at least. I love waitng the spring.

• Anna B January 3, 2013 at 1:36 pm #

Hello Nadezda! I’m very excited about the spring too! I just can’t wait :) Thanks so much for visiting!

7. wellywoman January 3, 2013 at 2:01 pm #

I’m holding back at the moment. It’s so mild but we’re bound to get a cold spell at some point so I’ll sow my broad beans at the end of the month and some sweet peas and then wait until mid February to start some other things off. It’s hard to resist getting out and sowing but my cold frames are already packed with plants waiting to go out onto the allotment that I sowed back in September. It feels like March outside today, which is very odd.

• Anna B January 3, 2013 at 8:11 pm #

Hi Wellywoman! Cool, what do you have in your cold frames? The mild weather can be very deceptive and if I’m not careful and put anything out too soon I could be bitten by the frosts! They’re bound to come back at some point. It’s oddly mild isn’t it. I’ll be in snowy Andorra next week, it’s going to be quite a shock!

• wellywoman January 3, 2013 at 9:16 pm #

Bulbs that don’t like sitting in wet soil. I had no idea the weather would be so wet but thought it was best to grow them in pots first and then plant them out in spring. And quite a lot of hardy annual flowers in modules. Have fun in Andorra. I’ve always fancied having a holiday somewhere snowy but we never get round to it.

• Anna B January 3, 2013 at 9:45 pm #

Snap! I’ve just put some more of my potted bulbs in my cold frame for while I’m away. I also think it deters the squirrels too who like to steal them!! Snowy holidays are good fun, but very tiring. There will be a point on my holiday when I ask myself, why am I doing this?!

8. horticulturalhobbit January 3, 2013 at 6:50 pm #

That cabbage is Huuuuge!

Have yet to sow any seeds yet, but am rather looking forward to it. The sight of seeing a seedling poke it’s head through is amazing.

• Anna B January 3, 2013 at 8:12 pm #

It sure is a monster! I was quite surprised when I saw there!! I’m looking forward to the spring when I can fill my greenhouse with seedlings!

9. Cathy January 3, 2013 at 7:18 pm #

Well done for these early sowings, Anna – and I MUST try sowing salad leaves all year round too, as it is so silly buying bacgs of leaves when they are so easy to grow. Thanks for for prodding me!!

10. Anna B January 3, 2013 at 8:13 pm #

Hello Cathy! It can be hit and miss but so easy to just scatter the seeds of mixed leaves and keep topping your lettuce tray up. Thanks so much for dropping by :)

11. PJ Girl January 3, 2013 at 8:15 pm #

I haven’t even got my seed catalogues yet so I’m already way behind myself. I really enjoyed growing broad beans last year so want to grow more this year…. to think that less than a year ago I HATED the things with a passion. It’s funny how things are more palatable when you grow these things yourself x

• Anna B January 3, 2013 at 8:23 pm #

Hey PJ Girl! There’s plenty of time to still think about seeds. I am way ahead of myself in full on experimental mode. It could lead to unexpected results! I have back up ready to sow later if all goes wrong!! That is so true about the veg you grow yourself. When did you sow your broad beans last year? You can pop them straight into the ground March – April so you have plenty of time to still do some this year :)

• PJ Girl January 3, 2013 at 8:53 pm #

I sowed mine indoors in February and started to harvest them in May/June. I still have some in the freezer… I fancy growing some crimson flowered ones this year :-)

• Anna B January 3, 2013 at 9:42 pm #

Ah they would be really nice! The Karmazyn beans are pink but I don’t think they grow pink flowers unfortunately. Just pink beans!

12. Back Garden Growing January 3, 2013 at 9:39 pm #

I usually tend to sow my peppers and chillis in January too – more so the chillis as the hotter varieties can take up to 30 days to germinate (that’s if they haven’t rotted in the soil) so it gives me a bit of a head start in that sense. I’ve decided to sow a few aubergine seeds early too and keep those indoors to see if starting them earlier will produce crops as I haven’t been very successful with these in previous years. Fingers crossed for those!

• Anna B January 3, 2013 at 9:54 pm #

Hello there! This is interesting. I’m going to start my peppers in February but only because I feel like I am being too early! I am really tempted to try a few peppers in January though too. Chillies I’m ok with anytime of the year. It is reassuring to find someone else who also sows early! Your aubergine idea sounds interesting, I’ve never been successful either! Fingers crossed for you! Thanks so much for dropping by and for your comment. I see you have a new blog. I am looking forward to following you this year :)

13. Anna January 3, 2013 at 10:51 pm #

Oh how exciting to see shoots coming through the soil Anna. I certainly have itchy fingers but am not sowing anything yet, apart from a few salad leaves, until the light levels improve. Good luck with your early sowings – do keep us posted on their progress.

• Anna B January 3, 2013 at 10:54 pm #

Hi Anna! Cool that you’re also growing salad leaves! It is very grey and dark outside at the minute isn’t it. I’m hoping the light levels improve soon too! Thanks so much for your comment :)

14. PlantPostings January 4, 2013 at 2:50 am #

Nothing “growing on” here, but we have big plans! Looks like you’re well on your way for the 2013 growing season. This is a great blog–I found you on Blotanical. Happy New Year!

• Anna B January 4, 2013 at 8:22 am #

Hello there! Thanks for your comment :) interested in seeing your plans unfold this year! Happy new year to you too :)