Gardening gifts – I got some, yes!

garden_bottle_tealight_lanterns
Before Christmas I bought and made some garden related presents and the whole time I was secretly wishing someone would give me some prezzies for the garden. Well, my wishes must have been heard. Pictured above are some awesome glass tea-light holders from my mother-in-law, she must know just how much I like night gardening.

My brother-in-law and sister-in-law have bought me some cool seeds in the past and this year they topped up my collection for the new year with some very interesting veg varieties. I’m really looking forward to experimenting with these soon. I think 2013 is going to be my year for going all out and trying new things, I just hope the weather is better and won’t come along and destroy my attempts.
seeds
I am also totally buzzing with my new bee hotels! A simple one from my brother and a 5 star version from friends, who referred to visiting my garden in the new year as the ‘bee resort’. Luckily I love bees and welcome them to my plot. A couple of years back I did some ‘bee walks’ for BBCT and noted a general lack of flowers for bees in my area. Once the plants in my local park stopped flowering there were literally no bees in there, yet there’s an abundance of flowering plants that the council could have used to attract them from spring to autumn but they didn’t think to plant for bees. So, anything I can do to help protect bees and encourage them, I will do. I’ve had bees nesting in my garden before and it’s been great watching them flying around doing their work.
IMG_8368My other garden related present was this lovely handmade row marker which was actually a secret santa gift from a work colleague. I’m hoping this will help me achieve the professionally planted rows that I long for.
garden_veg_row_markers
Adam’s mum gave him these cool hooks for the shed he will be building in the new year. I can’t wait for that!
digtheoutside_trowel_hooks
Slightly off subject but maybe a vision of the future, this extraordinary chicken calendar. One day maybe I will own some of these ‘extraordinary’ creatures!
digtheoutside_extraordinary_chickens_with_text

Can you tell that I’m getting excited for the new growing season? Did you get any cool garden related presents?

Thanks for all your comments and support this year. Wishing you all a very happy new year :)

Tags: , , , , , ,

28 Responses to “Gardening gifts – I got some, yes!”

1. Sue@GLAllotments December 31, 2012 at 1:58 pm #

Not a Christmas gift but Martyn made a couple of bee hotels very similar to the one from your brother. One for our garden and one for my sister’s

• Anna B December 31, 2012 at 2:19 pm #

Ah, so you’ll have a bee resort too! Now Adam’s seen these hotels he wants to start making some too. I think I could end up with loads of them!

2. outofmyshed December 31, 2012 at 2:46 pm #

Wot a haul!! Particularly like the look of those round cucumbers! (I have dreams of keeping chickens too!) Really enjoyed reading your posts this year and looking forward to lots more in 2013. Happy New Year! Naomi

• Anna B December 31, 2012 at 6:01 pm #

Hi Naomi! I’m looking forward to those round cucumbers too, I completely forgot to grow any last year, so this should ensure that I remember! Thanks so much for your lovely comments. Happy New year to you too! :)

3. wellywoman December 31, 2012 at 2:54 pm #

Some great presents there, loving the extraordinary chickens calendar. I’m getting excited too and it looks like the rain might finally stop for the rest of the week. Hope you have a great NYE and a happy 2013. looking forward to reading my of your posts in 2013. Best wishes, WW x

• Anna B December 31, 2012 at 6:02 pm #

We had a massive down pour today but looks like it’s clearing too! Fingers crossed! Thanks so much for your comments and for visiting my blog. Best wishes for 2013! x

4. Allotment Plot 4 December 31, 2012 at 4:58 pm #

Loving your presents, I bet you’re looking forward to putting your gifts to good use. I spy Purple Haze carrots and other wonderful seeds, how exciting! I adore your bee hotels, our garden and allotment bug boxes have done really well at providing a safe haven for an array of pollinators. Happy New Year!

• Anna B December 31, 2012 at 6:03 pm #

I can’t wait to get the seeds going and the bee resort installed!! Glad to hear that they have done well for you. Thanks so much for visiting and for your comments :) Happy new year!

5. crabtreegardens December 31, 2012 at 5:48 pm #

Anna, you got some really great gifts there! I love them all but my favorite one would be the bee hotel- we are into pollinators and I just love it. I think it’s so unique. I think those votive bottles are very pretty too. Lucky you! Looking forward to seeing more of your posts! Sandi

• Anna B December 31, 2012 at 6:04 pm #

Hi Sandi! The bee hotels seem to be a big hit! I’m over the moon with them too. Let’s hope the bees feel the same :) Thanks so much for dropping by. Wishing you all the best for the new year.

6. Cathy December 31, 2012 at 6:47 pm #

Some lovely gifts Anna – have fun with them all! I got a few garden-related books, which I shall review as soon as I have read them, and some flower seeds too. Happy New Year! :D

• Anna B December 31, 2012 at 7:42 pm #

You can never have too many garden books! Thanks so much for dropping by. Hope you have a wonderful new year :)

7. Jo December 31, 2012 at 6:57 pm #

What fabulous gifts, your family and friends obviously know you very well. Happy New Year, and all the very best for 2013.

• Anna B December 31, 2012 at 7:42 pm #

Thanks for dropping by Jo! Wishing you all the very best for 2013 :) Xx

8. Ricki Grady December 31, 2012 at 8:05 pm #

All the makings for a very Happy New Year found under your tree, especially when you factor in the warm wishes from those who know you so well. Let me add mine for a great 2013.

• Anna B December 31, 2012 at 11:00 pm #

Ah thanks Ricki! Best wishes to you too :)

9. Cathy December 31, 2012 at 9:21 pm #

You had lots of lovely gardening prezzies, Anna – they were lacking for me at Christmas, but I had several for my birthday so I am not complaining :) Good to be getting your posts by email now – should have signed up before but at least I could easily click on your link and go back and look at your bulbs posts, and I look forward to reading them all in the future. Happy digging!

• Anna B December 31, 2012 at 11:02 pm #

Hi Cathy, thanks so much for your lovely comment :) I hope you have a wonderful new year. Thanks so much for dropping by.

10. Kim January 1, 2013 at 2:37 pm #

wow what a great collection of lovely gifts xx easpecially the glass bottle tea lights :-)
    Hope you had a great new year xx and heres to a great new growing season for all xx

• Anna B January 2, 2013 at 8:32 am #

Hello Kim! Yeah I love the bottles too. I think they’ll look really nice hanging and twinkling! Hope you had a great new year too and wishing you a wonderful growing season :) xx

11. PJ Girl January 1, 2013 at 6:23 pm #

Ooh Anna! Santa has been really good to you! I love the row marker and little trowel hooks the most, although everything is a gardener’s idea of heaven :-) I spent so much money on my new kitchen garden at the beginning of the year that my friends and family kindly bought me things just for me… I have vouchers and money (which I’ll spend on a few trees I have my eye on!!). Looking forward to Spring and seeing how you’re getting on x

• Anna B January 2, 2013 at 8:35 am #

Hello PJ Girl! I can’t wait to get those little hooks up in the new shed Adam has promised to build this year! Sounds like you’ve had a lovely Christmas. Thanks so much for dropping by and leaving a comment :) best wishes for 2013! x

12. gardeninacity January 1, 2013 at 7:24 pm #

So jealous of your bee hotels! I like the row markers too, I seem to be genetically incapable of planting straight rows.

• Anna B January 2, 2013 at 8:37 am #

Haha! Yep, me too! I am hoping these will do the trick! Funnily enough, we went to a friends house on NYE and we were given another bee hotel! We definitely have a 5 star resort for them now!!! Best wishes for 2013 :)

13. Sarah January 3, 2013 at 1:36 am #

Hello hello!

I probably shouldn’t start my very first comment on your blog with… “Aw, man! I’m jealous!” but I will :) I’m so jealous of your Mason Bee house! That was on my wist list… I got a bird house instead. No complaints. :)

Hope you are having a lovely start to 2013 and I look forwarding to reading your blog!

14. Anna B January 3, 2013 at 8:25 pm #

Hello Sarah! Haha!! Aw, I shouldn’t tell you then that since I wrote this post I have been given another bee house! Bird houses are cool! Your blog looks really interesting, I’m looking forward to following it. Thanks so much for dropping by and for your comment :)

15. Born To Organize February 10, 2013 at 8:35 pm #

What lovely gifts! Lucky gardener, you.

• Anna B February 10, 2013 at 8:37 pm #

I was made up! Thanks so much for visiting :)