Curly kale & baked kale chips – an appreciation!

When I made baked kale chips for the first time this year I was amazed and it fast became one of my favourite things to eat. My mum has an abundance of it growing in her allotment and it’s the number 1 item on my to-grow list for next year. I made some for Adam and after one taste his exact words were, “wow, it’s a revelation!”  I was so happy this morning when Sue A left a comment on my allotment in December blog post asking me to share the recipe. So I thought I’d post it here as an appreciation for an amazing vegetable and revelation in the way you can eat your greens!

It’s very simple, you just need kale, olive oil and salt.

• Wash the kale and strip out the stalks.
  • Break it up into bite size pieces and dry it as well as you can.
  • Pop the pieces onto a baking tray and drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt.
  • Roll the kale around in the oil and salt. You don’t want too much oil and it might take you a couple of times to get the amount right for your liking.
  • Bake in middle of a hot oven. Around 180 degrees.

It cooks really fast, anything from 5 minutes onwards, so I take the tray out and mix the kale up often so it cooks evenly. It will brown up and crisp up and it’s down to trial and error to work out just how crispy you like it. I cook mine for around 10 minutes now, turning regularly and in the middle of the oven so it doesn’t burn.

It smells rather ‘sprouty’ when cooking but it tastes sooo good! Have you tried cooking this?

HarlowCarr_IMG_8163Thank you curly kale for being totally awesome.

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

28 Responses to “Curly kale & baked kale chips – an appreciation!”

1. gardeninacity December 17, 2012 at 9:21 pm #

I’ll show Judy and might give it a try. Seems like one of those things that tastes much better than it sounds.

• Anna B December 17, 2012 at 9:27 pm #

If you give it a try I would love to know what you think :)

2. stevemoulson December 17, 2012 at 10:34 pm #

I’ve never tried it but it does look nice the chap next to my plot has some,so I think I may have to borrow some from him. If it is nice I might try ad grow some next year,don’t know if family will eat it.

• Anna B December 17, 2012 at 10:38 pm #

If you crisp it up and get the oil/salt combo right it tastes amazing! Would love to know what you think if you manage to borrow some from your plot neighbour!

• Anonymous December 17, 2012 at 10:42 pm #

No problem I don’t think the family will eat it though but I will give it a go.

3. sharon December 18, 2012 at 1:36 am #

Oh how I wish I had kale but mine were eaten up by bugs,,,sigh

• Anna B December 18, 2012 at 6:48 am #

Oh no, sorry to hear that. This is interesting though because I thought kale was bug proof. It seems very robust. Do you know what kind of bug it was eaten by?

4. Cathy December 18, 2012 at 6:50 am #

I haven’t been convinced of kale yet… it’s not terribly popular here either. But if I find some I’ll give it another chance with this recipe! :D

• Anna B December 18, 2012 at 8:08 am #

I wasn’t convinced either until I tried this! My folks always boiled it, they’re very much boiled veg kind of people. I made this recipe for them though and they really enjoyed it. If you do try it, I’d be really interested to know if you like it :)

5. Nadezda December 18, 2012 at 8:48 am #

Anna, I wish to have kale like yours. I can only buy it frozen in supermarket.

• Anna B December 18, 2012 at 11:32 am #

Are you able to grow some? I can send you some seeds!

6. outofmyshed December 18, 2012 at 9:20 am #

Sounds delicious! Will give it a try with the remains of my half nibbled Kale. Like Sharon, mine was attacked by cabbage butterfly caterpillars, once they’d finished with the brussel sprouts!

• Anna B December 18, 2012 at 11:31 am #

Ah ha! So they’re the evil critters that are responsible. I wonder why they didn’t attack my mum’s kale? What secret does she have I wonder??!! They had a good go at my sprouts too. I collected tons of them and threw them into the woods at the top of the plots!

7. Sue@GLAllotments December 18, 2012 at 10:46 am #

You are a staunch advocate Anna

• Anna B December 18, 2012 at 11:30 am #

Haha! I think I have a ‘mild obsession’ with it :)

8. sue A December 18, 2012 at 6:26 pm #

Thanks Anna, gonna strip a couple of kale plants at the weekend to experiment!
    Sue

• Anna B December 18, 2012 at 7:45 pm #

Hi Sue A! Interested to know what you think of it :)

9. Jo December 19, 2012 at 12:46 pm #

I shall definitely have to give this a go when I grow kale again next year.

• Anna B December 19, 2012 at 1:46 pm #

As Adam said, it’s a revelation! It just might take a few attempts to get the cooking time right. My first attempt was a bit burnt but I still loved it so just adjusted my timings and kept turning throughout. Roll on next year’s kale crop! Thanks for your comment Jo :)

10. PJ Girl December 19, 2012 at 4:43 pm #

You’ve almost convinced me to grow it again! My crop was also ravished by cabbage whites and it put me off it but your description sound goooorrrrrgeous!

• Anna B December 19, 2012 at 5:44 pm #

Hello PJ girl! I’m worried about my new wonder veg myself now. My mum’s didn’t get attacked at all and claimed it was bug proof! Clearly not though and I don’t like sharing my food haha! I’ll have to think carefully about where I plant it I guess. Hmm?

• sue A December 19, 2012 at 7:02 pm #

Whenever I plant any brassica I cover it with insect mesh. I once stood and watched cabbage whites fold their wings so they could get through 3 layers of netting, from that time onwards no brassicas ever see the light of day- the pigeons and deer feast once the butterflies are gone, so winter is no let up- but they’re worth the extra work.

• Anna B December 19, 2012 at 10:47 pm #

No way! I’ve just googled insect mesh, looks great. I’ve never been overly plagued by the caterpillars until my sprouts got targeted by them this year, but I would be devastated if next years kale got eaten by anything other than me! I will get some. Every year I grow carrots in tubs and cover them with fleece, they never see the light of day either! I think the mesh would be perfect for those too instead of fleece. Thanks for the tip Sue A!

• Anna B December 19, 2012 at 10:49 pm #

P.s. you have deer in your garden?! Shame they munch your plants but it must be awesome to see them! We have some nearby in the woods by the river and they’re amazing to see.

11. Nicole December 20, 2012 at 8:34 pm #

Never heard of kale chips but I do like kale sauteed with garlic and olive oil. Thanks for visiting my blog

• Anna B December 20, 2012 at 8:55 pm #

Hi Nicole! The sauteed recipe sounds nice. I love doing that with courgette. No problem about visiting your blog! I was happy to find it. I could look at your lovely photos of flowers all day!! It’s much needed when all I have here is grey skies and rain! Thanks so much for dropping by and I will try your kale recipe :)

12. Sue Andrews January 18, 2013 at 4:01 pm #

a bit late in replying- but wow how utterly scrummy is that- am so gutted that i cant get to my kale at the moment (snow bound) to do more at the weekend.
    thanks so much for the revelation!

• Anna B January 19, 2013 at 6:03 pm #

Hello Sue!!! Awesome! I am so glad you tried the recipe and you found it a revelation too!!! Hope the snow shifts soon, it’s very inconvenient ;) !! Thanks so much for your comment!