Would you wear these Hunter wellies?

floralHunter
I’m about to admit my guilty secret to you…I love shopping! Ah, sigh of relief. In my last post I told you about my trip to RHS Harlow Carr but I failed to tell you about the hour I spent in the garden centre shop (and I’ll keep Betty’s tearooms a secret for a bit longer).

While I was in the shop I spotted these Hunter boots. Now, I love my Hunters. I wasted money for years on cheap boots that perished after a few months of use, usually while I was pottering in the potatoes. So I forked out for a decent pair and have never looked back. I wear them constantly and not just while gardening. To my surprise though I found these floral numbers which at first completely disgusted me and seem so out of keeping with the brand, but now I am quite taken with them! It looks like they are exclusive designs for the RHS.

hunter_shoe

Then, shock horror I spotted these odd chopped down welly clog creations and was completely mystified! What on earth would people make of these at Glastonbury?! Are they totally cactus or are they cool? Each summer I dig in my crocs, the holes allow the soil to come in and after a full day my feet look completely bizarre. Adam does the same but because he’s a man the soil & muck somehow gets all over him and all up his legs to the point where they look like the legs of a zombie. Would these odd little shoes actually be brilliant in Summer? I need to know!

One idea from Hunter that I’m completely convinced about is the foldable welly – the Hunter Original Tour!
Hunter original tour

In the summer I worked over in Manchester and our typical summer weather meant that it was usually raining in the north west but at home it was often sunny in the mornings. I’d already found myself a collapsible water bottle for the commute and so when I saw these Redfoot collapsible boots. I bought a pair from Amazon and they’ve been so useful and a fraction of the price of the Hunters. They come with a little bag and went with me to Manchester a few times for the inevitable dinner-time downpour.

redfoot wellington boots

I do wonder if the Hunters will be far better quality though? Hang on, is that some kind of excuse for me to buy another pair just because they’re Hunter? I really don’t need to since my Redfoots have done the job.

I’m also curious and maybe slightly (very) concerned that I might end up purchasing some of the odd little clogs?! Something which initially horrified me has grown on me considerably!!?? What do you make of the RHS Hunters?

Free delivery on all orders over £75

30 Responses to “Would you wear these Hunter wellies?”

1. stevemoulson December 8, 2012 at 10:33 am #

I do like the look of the Hunters Wellies I’ve done the same bought cheap boots,some have lasted a little while but most fall by the wayside. I got myself some Wellies last week not as good as Hunters but will give them a go,the ones I bought was Dunlop Wellies if these don’t work I will have to go up market.

• Anna B December 8, 2012 at 10:40 am #

Hiya Steve! At least you didn’t buy any floral ones! ;) Dunlops look really sturdy, I hope they last you. My old cheap ones used to perish around the ankles, my Hunters have never shown any signs of doing this and I’ve had them for a few years now. They’re warm too unlike other wellies. Adam would never wear Hunters, he would choose the Dunlops too. Thanks so much for dropping by and commenting dude :) Hope you have a good weekend!

2. croftgarden December 8, 2012 at 10:59 am #

I wore Hunters for years (blue ones) but I now use Muck Boots which are very warm and also flexible – I spend a lot of time kneeling when gardening.
    As for clogs – brilliant for slipping on when going out to put out the washing or fetch in the logs. Not sure about the flowery wellies but I could go for the clogs!

• Anna B December 8, 2012 at 11:07 am #

Ah, I have some Mud Ruckers – thick flexible neoprene things, sounds like they could be similar to your mud boots. I wear them for horse riding and walking. They’re fab. I find them a bit bulky in the garden though, I end up with mud stuck all round them! Proper mud boots!!

Interesting that you prefer the clogs! I do find my crocs very useful to throw on while gardening in the summer so you never know, these clogs might just go on my Christmas list! I am still in two minds, I just think they’re so bizarre looking!!

• croftgarden December 8, 2012 at 2:01 pm #

Crocs are ok in the summer when it’s dry – clogs are better in the winter (extra large for thick socks) when it can be a wee bit damp.

• Anna B December 8, 2012 at 7:11 pm #

I’m starting to think that I definitely need some clogs! I still think these hunter ones look a bit cactus (un cool) but the perhaps that actually makes them cool?! I feel some clog shopping coming on!

3. Cathy December 8, 2012 at 11:51 am #

I love the look of the flowery boots, and would definitely wear them, and not just in the garden! I have got Muck Boots and, like croftgarden says above, they are very flexible and warm in winter. I also live in crocs – all year round with several pairs for indoors outdoors, summer and winter! I prefer them to most clogs because clogs can be heavy and hard to walk in. I’d try those on before buying, but I agree they are quite fetching! :D

• Anna B December 8, 2012 at 12:03 pm #

Hello Cathy! Oh dear, I can feel another visit coming on for me to try the odd clogs on! After all, you can clearly never have too many pairs of shoes ;) Thanks so much for dropping by and for your comment :)

4. Christina December 8, 2012 at 12:36 pm #

I lovethe idea of the clogs to just pop on when I go outside for.. well almost anythign really, my holey clogs aren’t warm enough now. I’ll look out for the clogs, I think they may just end up finding a space in my suitcase. Christina

• Anna B December 8, 2012 at 1:26 pm #

Hi Christina! The only place I’ve seen this particular brand is RHS Harlow Carr in Yorkshire but they might be available elsewhere. I think they would be handy on warm days where a boot is too much but when you need to seriously get into the beds & borders! Thanks so much for your comment :)

5. Cathy December 8, 2012 at 4:12 pm #

What a lot of welly and boot information forthcoming from this post! I must confess to never having stopped to look at Hunter boots before because i’ve always assumed they would be on the dear side (ie over-priced, after all, a welly is a welly). However, I love MY clogs (boring plain green), by a small firm called Lakeland, and am on my 3rd pair, although the second pair didn’t last as long and the design is not quite as good as it used to be. I just have them by the back door and slip them on automatically (much easier than wellies or other boots) whatever I am going outside for (whether it’s digging, chicken feeding, or just walking the estate) – most of the ones you see in garden centres are backless and I don’t see them being as practical and multipurpose. So, if the ones I have are not as good as they used to be the next time I am visiting Elder Sister in Leeds perhaps a visit to Harlow Carr….? I had to giggle at the collapsible wellies, and I do wonder what a technology geek does in her lunchtimes in Manchester that needs wellies ….

• Anna B December 8, 2012 at 7:15 pm #

Hahahaa! Explore! Avoiding puddles and cracked paving flags! Manchester must be the rain capital of the north west. My foot actually went down a hole in a pavement there one lunchtime and my ballet pump and foot was completely submerged in water. That’s when I knew I needed collapsible boot technology!
      P.s. I LOVE lakeland! There’s one in Windermere and I love finding an excuse to go! :)

• Cathy December 8, 2012 at 7:36 pm #

Different Lakeland though :( – the clog one just sells rubber things! I love the other one too and have made the detour to visit the Windermere flagship store a couple of times, but otherwise will easily make excuses to find enough things to bump the order up to get free p&p! Just talking to my Mum tonight about the rain in Rochdale, which is where I lived as a teenager – average annual rainfall of 46″ so Manchester will be similar. I don’t think I took much notice of the rain as a teenager, other than from a geographical/meteorological point of view – bit different as a gardener and an adult who does her own washing, etc, though!

• Anna B December 9, 2012 at 8:45 am #

Ah, I will have to investigate this other Lakeland! I went through Rochdale on my commute, in fact I was on a few trains that got cancelled there due to flooding further down the line towards Leeds. I’d be sent back to Manchester! I think this summer was particularly bad for rain. My parents live on the North West and for weeks it never stopped! Going to google Lakeland clogs now :)

• Cathy December 9, 2012 at 9:08 pm #

Happy clogging!

• Anna B December 9, 2012 at 9:09 pm #

Thanks Cathy! :)

6. sharon December 8, 2012 at 4:31 pm #

I love the cloges!!…he in Fl we have no mud…so i wear a pair of croc flipflops

• Anna B December 8, 2012 at 7:21 pm #

Hi Sharon! I love my flip flops in summer too!

7. wellywoman December 8, 2012 at 4:46 pm #

I’ve got some cheap Next versions of birkenstocks that are my outdoor shoe for quickly slipping on to get firewood etc. Would never wear them for much else though. As for Hunters well you might want to see my recent Wellies post. I had to replace my much loved 7 year old hunters recently. I was just going to get more hunters but wasn’t happy with stories about a change in their manufacture and the subsequent quality that I found on the internet. I’ve got some Le chameaus now and they are amazing but they are their cheapest ones, about the same sort of price as Hunters.

• Anna B December 8, 2012 at 7:25 pm #

Hello wellywoman! Well if anyone knows about wellies it has to be you! Amazing that your Hunters lasted 7 years. Mine are over 4 and show no signs of distress at all. I’ve never heard of Le Chameaus but I have a feeling I’m going want a pair!

8. gardeninacity December 8, 2012 at 6:03 pm #

Would I wear them? No, not exactly my style.

• Anna B December 8, 2012 at 7:26 pm #

Haha! I have to say that I’m very pleased to hear that! :)

9. Sue@GLAllotments December 8, 2012 at 6:15 pm #

I’ve decided that I’d like some ankle wellies with furry linings. I’ve been spending time standing in wet grass taking photos (don’t ask!) and I want something warm. waterproof and not uncomfortable to walk in. As for the flowers – maybe not although I did have some pink spotted ones that I wore at the plot (a gift!)

• Anna B December 8, 2012 at 7:33 pm #

I had blue spotted ones for a while! Fur lined ankle boots sound cool. I have to say, I’m intrigued as to what you’re photographing and hope to find out more!

10. djdfr December 8, 2012 at 8:58 pm #

Here in Brittany, boots are the usual garden footwear. We have plenty of rain and mud. I find the flowery ones very pretty but maybe I would be afraid to wear them to work in for fear of messing them up. :-) They would be for showing off in town. I get the cheapest green things and add an inner sole.

• Anna B December 9, 2012 at 8:50 am #

So many people wear wellies now in the UK, definitely showing them off in town! Isn’t it funny how a practical item made out of rubber has become such an object of desire. If wellywoman’s Hunters lasted 7 years then I might still have another 3 years left with mine so I think I will investigate clogs for summer to avoid getting my soily zombee feet!

11. notjustgreenfingers December 12, 2012 at 9:21 am #

Hi Anna, I don’t own a pair of wellies as I don’t like the feel of them, but if I did I wouldn’t think twice about the ones in your post as they are lovely. I stick to normal work boots (the ones with the steel toes) but I find there isn’t a big choice for women unless you pay for the expensive brands. So I end up having to buy a smaller pair that are designed for men, which usually means they are a bit on the wide side for me so I have to wear thick socks and innersoles with them….but hey ho, I suppose you get what you pay for.

• Anna B December 12, 2012 at 10:19 am #

You’re so right about not having a good choice of work boots for women. Even walking boots I struggle with because I’m minute and wear a size 3! A lot of the women up at the allotments wear boots instead of wellies so I think there is a market for some decent ones for us!

12. Sean February 28, 2013 at 12:44 am #

I love the tall floral Hunters! In fact I bought some today from Country Attire. I already own them in black, red, pink, aubergine and lilac. They are my absolute favourite. It is really slushy right now in Canada so I can wear a different colour everyday. Plus they are surprisingly comfortable – especially with the welly socks. The florals will look great in the spring – can’t wait!

• Anna B February 28, 2013 at 7:11 pm #

Hi Sean, I’d love some more in different colours too. Hunters are definitely the best wellington boot I’ve found so far! Thanks for your comment :)