Fancy a Pot of Spring Bulbs?

table

I was over the moon when I started my new gardening blog because Spalding Plant & Bulb Co. accepted me into their bloggers club.

As a welcome gift Spalding sent me 100 spring bulbs. They recently arrived and strangely enough I’m feeling rather guilty at accepting them? It seems I much prefer to share the love and give things away in the hope that budding gardeners or keen readers will benefit, after all gardening is my passion and I just love it when others find enjoyment in it too. Anyway, it got me thinking about what to do. Should I just give these bulbs away? But I’m already giving away some seeds. Then a flash of inspiration from Pinterest and suddenly I’m thinking about teapots and Christmas presents! Yes, there’s the answer. A teapot or other unusual vessels and nice pots will be given to family and friends as Christmas presents pre-planted with Spalding spring bulbs! After a shopping therapy trip to Leeds I returned with a selection of interesting items including a classic Wedgwood milk jug. All guilty feelings have now gone.

pot4

Then a few days ago I received another email from Spalding asking me to take part in their challenge to pick 5 of their bulbs that I think would make a lovely Spring patio tub display. On further inspection of the fabulous bulbs they sent me, they seem like the perfect bulbs already.

My 100 bulbs consist of:
Mixed Iris, Mixed Darwin Hybrid Tulips, Grape Hyacinths – my absolute favourite bulbs of all time and one of the first I ever grew in my little garden 10 years ago, Tete-a-Tete Daffodils (which must have sold out on Spalding but they have a wide selection of very interesting Daffodil varieties left), Mixed Anemones and Mixed Alliums – again, these must have gone but check this out for an unusual Allium!

So this is how I’ve planted them up – the little Wedgwood jug and the Greek teapot simply contain the Anemones and the terracotta teapot is planted up with the Tete-a-Tete and the Mixed Iris.pot5

Thinking specifically about the patio tub, I have omitted the Anemone’s and used the remaining 5 varieties from my 100 spring bulbs pack. Now this is somewhat of a challenge because these bulbs won’t all come up and flower at the same time. Either a problem, or an opportunity. I see this as the latter, a way to keep a container of bulbs in bloom for longer. So I planted two large terracotta containers with Grape Hyacinth round the edges interspersed with Tete-a-Tete but with those flowing in towards the middle and the Iris, which will throw up greenery but flower later, then the Alliums and Tulips as the primadonna flowers in the middle. Now I predict that the Tete-a-Tete will come up first with a flash of greenery, if I look after them and keep them partly shaded then before they fade the Grape Hyacinth should follow suit along with the Tulips. If I’d planted the Grape Hyacinths earlier though these would be up now because they’re already confused and coming up in my garden. The Iris and Alliums will be the last to flower. I think the combination of colours will look great and I think my pots will last me right up until the end of July. What do you guys think?

pot6pot1

I really enjoy planting bulbs as you will know if you read my recent night planting post. So, thank you Spalding for the lovely gift. All the bulbs are absolute beauties and I can’t wait to see them flower. I just need some ribbons now and to choose who I will give them to….although now I’ve planted them I’ve got rather fond of the pots and think they would look great in my garden. Hmm? Can I keep them? ;)

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

18 Responses to “Fancy a Pot of Spring Bulbs?”

1. Roy and Tanya December 3, 2012 at 10:33 pm #

a concept that we adore and endorse totally – to give away again, to share and to give joy to others; who knows – one of the recipients will become a gardener for life as a result. Perfect!

The greek teapot is stunning!

• Anna B December 3, 2012 at 10:35 pm #

Hello Roy and Tanya! Thank you for you lovely comment! Thanks so much for dropping by. Really happy that you enjoyed my post :)

2. gardeninacity December 4, 2012 at 2:34 am #

My sentiment is less lovely: pure jealousy! I’m waiting for somebody to send me 100 free bulbs! By the way, Muscari are a favorite of mine as well.

• Anna B December 4, 2012 at 11:05 am #

Haha! I love your comment :)

3. Sue@GLAllotments December 4, 2012 at 11:16 am #

I shared my free bulbs with my sister.

Hope one of the blogs I visit wins the competition – or even me!

• Anna B December 4, 2012 at 2:41 pm #

Hiya Sue! Your competition entry looks great. Really nice choice of bulbs. I love the tulips! I brought some red/white stripey ones back from Amsterdam and I can’t wait to see them come up. Adding a link here to your entry so people can take a look at your blog! :) http://glallotments.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/competition-entry.html

Thanks so much for dropping by again and for your comment!

• Sue@GLAllotments December 15, 2012 at 11:27 am #

Snap – we both ended up as runners up!

• Anna B December 16, 2012 at 9:59 pm #

Indeed we did :) I was buzzing when I found out! Never expected it!

4. gardeningnaturallywithclaudia December 4, 2012 at 3:55 pm #

When you said ‘pot’ you meant it, didn’t you? Really like the ideas – never would have thought of it myself. Thanks. c

• Anna B December 4, 2012 at 3:56 pm #

I sure did! Thanks for your comments Claudia, I’m really pleased you like my post! :)

5. wellywoman December 4, 2012 at 4:30 pm #

Love bulbs not so keen on planting them. Although I generally don’t plant them in pots. The dreadful wet weather recently meant I ended up planting my remaining tulips in tin baths which was a much better experience than the hundreds planted in the ground.

I’m sure your friends and family will love those flowery gifts.

• Anna B December 4, 2012 at 7:03 pm #

Tin baths make amazing bulb planters! I’ve started putting them in pots more and more nowadays rather than into the ground because it is hard work. Adam brought me home an amazing dibber though, it’s actually the metal drill bit out of a big jackhammer. One stab in the ground with that and you’ve got the perfect bulb hole. He found it lying around an estate he was working on but I really do think someone should start selling heavy weighted dibbers because it’s just the best tool ever. I think it would be worthy of one of your golden welly awards!

6. notjustgreenfingers December 7, 2012 at 6:45 am #

The teapots are great. I once planted bulbs in an old pair of wellies and they were a real talking point when people saw them.

• Anna B December 7, 2012 at 12:32 pm #

Ah! That sounds ace! Brilliant idea!

7. Liz December 14, 2012 at 4:28 pm #

Hi there, I’ve come on over from the Spalding bloggers club, congratulations on being a runner up in the bulb comp. I have signed up to follow by e-mail, I’m on blogspot rather than wordpress so it gets delivered differently.
    Look forward to reading your posts.

• Anna B December 16, 2012 at 10:02 pm #

Hello Liz! Congratulations on winning the prize! I’ve just been looking through your selection! Really enjoying your blog and a well deserved winner! My bulbs are coming through now and I’m really excited about seeing them grow :) Thanks so much for dropping by!

8. Joe Owens January 2, 2013 at 8:38 pm #

Anna – We are on the same wave length here. I have a partially planted container of daffodils left over that i plan to pot for a forced display. My wife has a hair salon in the basement of our home and i would like to do a couple of pots to flank the entrance in the Spring.

9. Anna B January 2, 2013 at 10:36 pm #

Hi Joe, Daffodils always make a lovely display. They are such an iconic spring flower and they fill me with hope for better weather :) Thanks so much for your comment!