Nightlife in the garden – a new definition

Like so many of my fellow garden enthusiasts with full time jobs I struggle to find time to do all my winter gardening with the dark nights and weekends often filled with chores, days out or hangovers.

Despite it being winter there’s still a lot of gardening to do, in fact there is always something to do in the garden at any time of the year.

A few weeks ago Adam wanted to plant up our window boxes and he did this around 6pm in the evening with a headtorch on. Inspired by his creativity and a burning desire to get more and more of my bulbs planted we planned a night out at the greenhouse!

Armed with a thermos flask full of hot chocolate & Baileys, thermals, candles, torches and our portable digital radio, we boogied on down with the bulbs.

The moon was near full and lit up the garden as much as our torches and we managed to get a lot done! We planted loads of bulb tubs and decided to store them in the greenhouse for a while because of the pesky resident squirrel who likes to chew on them.

I tend to plant bigger bulbs in layers in big tubs. Adam opts for the ‘cramming them all in together method’. I’m looking forward to seeing them come up.

I also planted a row of alliums in my front raised bed, spread out a load of new bark chippings which have been in a pile for a couple of weeks, picked the last of my broccoli, took my pelargoniums into the greenhouse and fleeced them up, had a general potter and more importantly a really good time! The weather was quite mild considering and the hot chocolate/Baileys combo definitely warmed us up.

Adam rocked out his new special compost mix – comprising 3 year old leaf mulch and soil that he scavenged from moles!

I have to say that I will definitely be doing this again, not just out of necessity but because I really enjoyed it! I’m thinking of new ideas for lighting because that was the only minor problem we encountered. Any suggestions are welcome!

Move over Thailand, the new Full Moon Party is happening in the garden!

Tags: , , , ,

27 Responses to “Nightlife in the garden – a new definition”

1. Kim November 29, 2012 at 1:45 pm #

brilliant x

• Anna B November 29, 2012 at 2:31 pm #

Hi Kim! It’s the best night out I’ve had in ages!!!! x

• Kim November 29, 2012 at 6:27 pm #

adding a potting shed or green house to my christmas list :-)

2. Nadezda November 29, 2012 at 4:55 pm #

Hi! I see you planted the bulbs into the pots. Will you replant them in spring in a soil or stay in pot? I do the same with gladioli but I plant them in spring.

• Anna B November 29, 2012 at 6:40 pm #

Hello Nadezda! No, the ones in pots will stay in pots and grow in them. I will dot them around the allotment and at home I just have a small garden so I put them on the steps to my front door. I do plant them straight into the ground though too. I plant big red tulips under my fruit trees, I love the contrast between the green leaves and white blossom against the big red flowers. I have loads of daffys in borders, the alliums line the front of my first raised bed – the entrance way. At home in my little garden in front of my house I have snowdrops, grape hyacinth, iris, tulips, daffodils planted directly in that will come up next year. I have some early crocus coming up already but those are in pots too. I love a good mix of containers! Thanks so much for dropping by again :)

3. Anna B November 29, 2012 at 6:41 pm #

kim – I’d put both down!! A new shed is on my Christmas list too :)

4. Sue@GLAllotments November 29, 2012 at 8:04 pm #

That’s what I call dedication.

• Anna B November 29, 2012 at 8:06 pm #

I think I’ll opt for the pub tomorrow night, but it’s a close contest! I really enjoyed it!!

5. Tuckshop Gardner November 29, 2012 at 9:40 pm #

PUt a solar powered light on your list for Santa. Don’t know if they do glitterball versions though…

• Anna B November 29, 2012 at 10:02 pm #

Haha!! Excellent :) Thank you for visiting and for your comment!!

6. angiesgardendiaries November 29, 2012 at 10:00 pm #

Great blog. All sounds very romantic!! In my day job which is actually night shift I work outdoors all night so can appreciate how cold it is.
    I hope your bulbs are a success and look forward to seeing them in springtime.

• Anna B November 29, 2012 at 10:23 pm #

Hello Angie! I don’t know about you, but I sometimes just get totally engrossed in gardening and despite the cold and the darkness I still got totally into it! It was romantic I guess! The candlelight was lovely. Thanks so much for visiting :)

7. gardeningnaturallywithclaudia November 29, 2012 at 11:39 pm #

Anna B – I do have a wordpress acct. – am also on blogger. So I may pop up anywhere. Thanks for the heads up tho. I’ll look into that cactus issue too. c

• Anna B November 30, 2012 at 2:17 pm #

Cool! Thanks so much! :)

8. Christina November 30, 2012 at 7:52 am #

What a fun thing to do! I’ve never gardenered in the dark. It is a great idea for me in summer when the daylight hours are too hot! I will try to remember for next year, thanks for the idea. Christina

• Anna B November 30, 2012 at 2:19 pm #

Hi Christina! Glad you enjoyed my post! It really was good fun! :) Thanks for dropping by!

9. wellywoman November 30, 2012 at 11:08 am #

Sounds like fun. I’m not sure both me and hubby would fit in our new and small greenhouse together. It would be cosy to say the least.;) I’m lucky because I work from home I’ll squeeze in the bits I need to do in the day but will then often do my work on an evening.

• Anna B November 30, 2012 at 2:22 pm #

Hello Wellywoman! I’m lucky to have quite a big greenhouse – I think when Adam built it he had designs on moving into it!! I used to work from home sometimes and had a wireless dongle, so unbeknown to anyone I was actually working from the greenhouse or my Turkish bed! It was great!! I’ve often thought an office in a shed would be fantastic. Thanks so much for dropping by! :)

10. gardeninacity November 30, 2012 at 11:40 pm #

Either a brilliant technique for getting ahead of the autumn chores, a new kind of garden fun, or a symptom of moderate insanity. Maybe all three.

• Anna B December 1, 2012 at 12:47 am #

Haha! Maybe all three indeed. The weather has seriously turned now, I fear that was our last night out in the greenhouse for a while. It’s been unbelievably mild but not anymore. I wish I’d thought of the mad idea earlier!! Thanks for dropping by :)

11. Anna December 2, 2012 at 10:29 pm #

Now why have I not thought of night time planting before – could well be the answer to my still to be planted bulb mountain. Love it :)

• Anna B December 2, 2012 at 10:38 pm #

Hello fellow Anna! I highly recommend it although it’s gone totally freezing here now so I wont be doing it again for a while. I’m bulb planting in the house today! Thanks for visiting and commenting :)

12. Ricki Grady December 13, 2012 at 7:17 pm #

“date night” will never be the same.

• Anna B December 14, 2012 at 9:11 am #

Haha! Indeed :)

13. Teresa February 25, 2017 at 6:59 am #

Winter gardening?!?!! I wish! I am in Canada! :) Really enjoying your blog, though! :) Quick question — you’ve never had any problems with the wood of the greenhouse and all the inevitable moisture? No rotting? I am planning on converting a large bale shed into a big greenhouse! :)

1. Container gardening in my small front garden - dig the outside - May 1, 2013

[...] will emerge each spring. Adam also enjoys planting up the pots and we planted most of these while night gardening last year because we had so little time at the [...]

2. Growing a special bean in time for Christmas - dig the outside - October 17, 2013

[...] more organised this year because of the little bean. There can be no last minute bulb planting or late night gardening in November! I’ve chosen my winter garden plants already and I do hope that we have some nice [...]