Snooping around my parents plot

So, I didn’t manage to make a lot of progress bulb planting last weekend due to being distracted by a load of salvaged flowers and this weekend I’m being distracted by a visit to my parents house! But I did manage a trip to their allotment this morning.

I know a lot of people who have very fond memories of allotments because their parents and/or grandparents had one when they were growing up. I always feel they must have been such special times and this post by Pushing Up Dandelions captures feelings of vague memories and hard work and this one by Crafty Garden Hoe alludes to the fact that gardening, especially in allotments could be passed on through the family. I also love Crafty’s post because I can relate to her feelings of wanting to have time out from the city.

For me though, it’s been the other way around. My folks have always been keen gardeners but it’s only since they moved house and downsized their garden that they acquired a plot. They’ve often enjoyed helping me with mine so as soon as the council made some local land into allotments I knew they’d be keen to get on the list. They’ve had it around a year now and I do enjoy visiting. It’s so different to mine, it’s one of around 40 plots where mine is only one of a few and it’s more of a traditional plot than a garden, which mine has become over the years. There’s a great atmosphere down there on a busy day and a real variety in terms of plot styles and veggies.

My visit is good timing because although I feel sad that the main growing season is nearly over it’s this time of year I start to get ideas for spring and feel optimistic. I’m also amazed at just how many veggies are still growing really well on all the plots since they’re further north in Lancashire.

As a result of my visit I will definitely be growing Kale next spring. I’ve eaten so much of it this year and I’ve picked a bag full, hoping to make baked kale chips asap! We also scored some very healthy looking celery and I’ll be putting that on my ‘to grow list’.

My mum’s neighbouring plot has some lovely chard, I just love the bright colours. I wasn’t overly impressed with my attempts this year so will be on the lookout for some better specimens for spring because it really does look cool.

This shed and rainwater combo on one of the plots has to be one of the smartest I’ve ever seen, I have shed-envy BIG TIME! It’s great snooping around the allotments! Thanks for the tour and the veggies mum.

Tags: , , ,

15 Responses to “Snooping around my parents plot”

1. Ronnie@Hurtledto60 November 10, 2012 at 5:48 pm #

Loving the colour coordinated shed and water butt. I grew chard for the first time this year for the colour really and far too much to eat.

• Anna B November 10, 2012 at 6:18 pm #

Hi Ronnie! Thanks for dropping by :) I can’t wait to try growing it again next year and I will remember what you’ve said because I think chard is something I wouldn’t want to eat every day. I saw a lovely recipe earlier for a chard & fig tart and I guess it would be nice with spinach and in stir-frys but too much and I think I would find it going to waste. The colour is fab though isn’t it!

2. VP November 11, 2012 at 9:25 am #

You have shed envy and I have water butt envy! The water’s just been turned off for the winter up at the plot and I’d love to be able to turn to rainwater supplies from now until next spring…

• Anna B November 11, 2012 at 10:28 am #

Yes it is a lovely water butt! There’s a few of those exact ones on the plots up there so I wonder if they’re from a local place or something? They have no water supply, just a stream with a pump so I guess they have to master the art of capturing rain. Thanks so much for reading and commenting on my post :)

3. craftygardenhoe November 11, 2012 at 9:55 am #

Thanks for the link! Loved having a snoop your parents plot through your photos. I feel the same at the end of the season. After our first year I felt really sad and a bit morbid about life and death being close to the cycle of life down the allotment you feel a part of things. But now I love it, preparing the ground for next season, dreaming about what to grow next year. Nothing like on a cold winters day, snuggling up with a pile of seed catalogues.

(Crafty) Emma x

• Anna B November 11, 2012 at 10:31 am #

Hello Emma! Glad you enjoyed the snoop! You’re so right, planning for next year is very exciting and this year I actually have my first winter potatoes growing too, so I’m looking forward to seeing whether they actually produce anything! It’s a gorgeous day up here so we’re going out for a walk, hope you have a lovely day and thanks so much for dropping by and for your comment :)

4. notjustgreenfingers November 11, 2012 at 9:31 pm #

Hi Anna, the allotment looks lovely. I love curly kale too. My dad used to grow it when I was little and I remember loving it from back then…so it was one of the first vegetables I grew when I took my first allotment on.. I notice your parents haven’t got it covered to protect it from the pigeons…it would have all been eaten at my site within minutes lol

• Anna B November 11, 2012 at 10:06 pm #

Hello there! That’s so funny because on our way back from picking a load of kale this afternoon we bumped into a friend of my mum’s along the canal and she was showing off the bounty and saying how the kale never gets eaten by anything! I’ll have to warn her that if the pigeons find it, she’ll be in trouble! I love the way you call it curly kale :) I’ve been making curly kale chips all weekend, it’s a revelation! Thanks so much for dropping by and for the bump :)

5. Hannah November 12, 2012 at 4:00 am #

Mmm, I love baked kale chips! If you sprinkle them with yeast flakes and some Himalayan pink salt they are the best. Your parent’s plot looks so healthy and lush, they’ve done a great job :)

• Anna B November 12, 2012 at 9:27 am #

Hello Hannah! mmmMMmmm that sounds nice! Where will I find Himalayan pink salt??!!!!! I’ll be on a nationwide search for that now dude! Yeah my parents love having the allotment. They still have a garden at their new house but this gets them out and about and provides them with their greens :)

Lovely to hear from you! Thanks so much for your comments :) X

6. DiaryofanAmateurCottageGardener/Anna November 13, 2012 at 8:39 am #

I have shed envy too!!! Great vegies!!! I’m feeling a bit inspired…..

• Anna B November 13, 2012 at 9:33 am #

Hello Anna! I think I am becoming a little obsessed with sheds! I think Adam will make me a new one for next year – I hope so anyway!! Glad you’re feeling a bit inspired too :) Thanks for dropping by!

7. Ricki Grady November 15, 2012 at 1:23 am #

The chard is so colorful one can almost consider it an ornamental and not worry about eating it all. Yummy too, though.

• Anna B November 15, 2012 at 4:04 pm #

Hi Ricki! You’re right, I don’ think I would feel too guilty if I didn’t manage to eat it all because it looks so good when it’s growing! Thanks so much for dropping by :)

1. Snooping around allotments in February | dig the outside - February 23, 2013

[...] was staying with my parents last weekend and I took the opportunity to have a good old snoop around their allotments yet again! I last visited their plot properly in November and established that being a nosey [...]