What is it about bulbs..

This weekend was my big bulb planting weekend. It’s the one I’ve been waiting for and looking forward to. I had the whole of Saturday to get on with it and at around 10.30am the sun came out! Perfect. So I headed up to the allotment and managed to do anything other than plant bulbs. I cleared and gathered some leaves, which is a job worth doing for sure. I had a cup of tea, pulled a few weeds out and then…..came home for a sandwich?!

After that though I got myself together and armed with another cup of tea I headed back, did a bit of rough digging ready for the frosts, cleared lots of space and also got some pots ready to plant up with bulbs. Just then my partner in crime Adam (husband also known as ‘Moss’) appeared with a load of Violas and Rudbeckia that he’d salvaged from a garden that he was helping with. So we spent the rest of the afternoon re-planting these salvaged flowers?! I came home with a lovely, if somewhat bedraggled, bunch for the house too but the boot of my car is still full of bulbs! I know the Violas will last the winter but I have no idea about the Rudbeckia, I’m guessing not.

The ironic thing is that Adam had planted tons of bulbs (‘hundreds’ he claims) that morning for someone else and I planted none. I know I can plant Tulips until Christmas but with weekends now being my only time at the allotment I’m getting to that dangerous place in time where I could miss the boat. The bulbs will stay forever in my boot and I will feel guilty and say to myself ‘I must try harder next year’. However, I have the makings of some leaf mould, have done some weeding and dug some big chunks into my plot to expose it to frost. I do this every year as it’s supposed to kill of all the beasties but this year I was over run by slugs so I’m not sure it’s 100% fool proof.

So, next week’s to-do column is the same and I’ll be keeping my fingers crossed for the weather! To my surprise on Saturday there was lots of bulb talk on twitter and I read this really interesting post on The Patient Gardener’s Weblog. I really identify with this and am glad I’m not the only one with secret seed and bulb obsession. When I returned home tonight Adam was looking very serious on the computer and when I asked him what he was up to, he replied “buying some more bulbs”!!!

Tags: , , , ,

16 Responses to “What is it about bulbs..”

1. Roy and Tanya November 5, 2012 at 9:25 pm #

I think that you made the correct choice. The collection of leaves and greenery thats dying back will help in the fight against those slugs. A clean plot now is more important than the bulbs, they can wait yet as there’s another 3/4 weeks at least before they become more urgent.

We just love your greenhouse!!!

• Anna B November 5, 2012 at 9:34 pm #

Hello Roy and Tanya! Thanks so much for stopping by and helping me feel less guilty!! I have a back up plan in that if I get sidetracked too much I can always plant them up in containers and make some lovely displays. Adam is responsible for building the greenhouse! It’s certainly changed everything about the allotment it’s just been brilliant. I’ve still got lots going on in there now :)

Thanks again for stopping by!

2. Hannah November 6, 2012 at 4:39 am #

I love that you rescued flowers! And I love your blog Anna, it is such a wonderful, relaxing read. Even though I have sand on my doorstep instead of a garden, you transport me back home to England with your writing, and I can almost smell the freshly turned soil and crisp Autumn air :)

• Anna B November 6, 2012 at 8:49 am #

Hello Hannah! Aw, thank you so much for your lovely comments. I would love to see your sandy garden! Still working on getting my holidays sorted. It is definitely crisp outside, really turning cold now. Thanks for dropping by! Enjoy the sunshine :) x

3. crabtreegardens November 8, 2012 at 2:40 pm #

Thank you for visiting me! I just love your blog and will enjoy following it. Reading about the bulbs reminded me that I still have six ‘Globemaster’ alliums waiting in storage for their new homes-thanks! Sandi

• Anna B November 8, 2012 at 3:18 pm #

Hello Sandi! Thank you so much for dropping by :) and for your lovely comments. Globemaster Alliums are amazing aren’t they! They will be worth planting! Really happy I also found your blog, it’s lovely.

4. sensiblegardening November 8, 2012 at 4:55 pm #

I love spring bulbs but hate planting them, always a chore for me. I really enjoyed your blog and being from Western Canada where we don’t have ‘allotments’, they interest me.

• Anna B November 8, 2012 at 6:06 pm #

Hello sensiblegardening! Thank you so much for your lovely comments! I’ve just seen your pumpkin projects and companion planting! Can’t wait to get back to reading some more. I am intrigued about your Western Canadian garden. I spent some time in Vancouver and Whistler a few years back, my husband was living there for a while. I saw some really interesting community gardens between old train tracks in Kitsilano and some in the downtown area. That really interests me a lot too!! My husband actually did some gardening work while he was in Canada and loved it and also did some traveling round Kelowna. Really happy we have connected :)

5. fredrickal November 9, 2012 at 8:07 pm #

Adam orders them, Adam plants them: that would be my motto. Love your blog.

• Anna B November 9, 2012 at 10:49 pm #

Haha! Not a bad idea! Thanks so much for your comment :)

6. Sue@GLAllotments November 11, 2012 at 4:05 pm #

I think those do look like the annual Rudbeckias – there are some that are perennial.

• Anna B November 11, 2012 at 4:34 pm #

Oh dear :( they are looking a little sorry for themselves now.

7. Charlotte November 12, 2012 at 8:23 pm #

Love that last pic of you both :)

• Anna B November 12, 2012 at 8:26 pm #

Thank you :) we were happy to be gardening on such a fine day!

1. Social and Sociable Sharing for your Garden Blogs » Blooming Blogs - November 9, 2012

[...] came across this on the dig the outside garden blog and thought it would be a good example for all Gardening Blogs. The owner is obviously [...]

2. Setting the scene for the autumn garden - dig the outside - October 11, 2013

[...] rudbeckia is a real suprise. We salvaged some last year that were meant to be the annual rudbeckia cappuccino, so when this started to grow in the summer [...]